News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV Call Screening Does not work with OBI 110

Started by getmeek, May 26, 2013, 11:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getmeek

I set up the OBI 110 to receive calls from Google Voice via "Google Chat," as the instructions demand.  Calls to my GV number are forwarded to the OBI 110 but are directly connected, without any call screening (even though at GV call screening is on).  If I answer call to my GV number that has been forwarded to any other device, call screening works.  If I answer it with the OBI 110, there is no call screening.  To me, this appears to be a major defect with OBI 110.  Fixes?

CoalMinerRetired

Lots and lots of discussion, and misunderstanding, on that topic on here.

In summary, it is not a bug. The Obi is behaving the same way as 'Google Chat' is, or will function, if you receive the same call in Google Chat inside Gmail in a browser. That is to say the call will ring but you will not get the usual GV call screening, press 1 to accept, 2 to send to voice mail, (one of several such explanations here). Disconnect your Obi, check forward to Google Chat, open a browser, receive a and see for yourself.

The important point is the call screening prompts you hear are different when the call is answered from a 'forwarding phone' and from 'Google Chat' from within a browser.  Calls answered on forwarding phones have the full call screening, Audio Caller It and Listen In, if you have call groups set up appropriately.  In a point that is almost completely misunderstood by first time users, you actually have the full call screening, (and Audio Caller It and Listen In) when answered via an Obi, you just do not know it because you do not get the GV female voice prompts "Call from X, press one to ....", instead you hear 'dear air', you have to know to press 1 or 2.

You have three basic choices here, two of which involve the X_SkipCallScreening field on a pure GV setup:

1. You receive a call and the X_SkipCallScreening field is enabled, the call is immediately connected when answered because the Obi sent the 1, silently and in the background for you.

2. You receive a call and the X_SkipCallScreening field is not enabled. As soon as you pickup the call you hear nothing ('dead air'), the caller continues to hear the phone ringing (his or her 'ring back pattern'), and both of these things continue until you press 1 (to connect the call) or 2 (to sent to voicemail) or 25 seconds elapses. If you do not do nothing within 25 seconds, the call goes to your GV VM.

3. You use a second SP slot in your Obi, and forward your GV calls to the phone number for that 'SIP provider', configure incoming GV calls to not ring your GV Obi number. That means: No incoming calls ring GV in your Obi, all outgoing calls go out via GV, the incoming calls GV forwards to the SIP provider number are treated as a forwarding phone, and therefore you answer using the full call screening with fill voice prompts.  

#3 is a very popular way to do it on here, people use providers such as CallCentric, Anveo,voip.ms. The CallCentric setup is the most popular, mostly because it's free and for calls from the US you get free Caller Name (CNAM). If you pay $1.50 per month you get e911 via CC.  Full explained in linked thread.

To review, 1 and 2 above are analogous to how an incoming call in 'Google Chat' behaves where you must click on one of two buttons, Answer or Voicemail.  #3 works exactly how any other forwarding phone in you GV (mobile, landline, etc) settings works, i.e., full voice prompts as explained in the linked GV help page.

getmeek

Thanks for the info.  Your solution #2 is an improvement but does not fully restore GV's call screening feature.  Yes, your solution stops the OBI 110 from automatically punching 1 and thus accepting the call from GV.  Instead, I hear only silence and have the choice of punching 1 to accept the call (from unknown caller) or 2 to send to GV voicemail (while listening in to the person leaving the message).  What is still missing is the GV announcement to me of the identity of the caller.  Is there a way to restore that as well, apart from your solution #3 (getting a SIP from somewhere else)?

CoalMinerRetired

FYI, it's not correct to call this 'my solution', it is how simply it works, and how everyone uses it.

>   What is still missing is the GV announcement to me of the identity of the caller.  Is there a way to restore that as well, apart from your solution #3 (getting a SIP from somewhere else)?
A: No. You're not restoring it, that is how an inbound works when answered via Google Chat -- which is what the Obi emulates when using GV (as opposed to SIP). The only way is with a GV forwarding phone, which could be landline, mobile or SIP. SIP is the realistic choice. A 'far out there' approach: Since your model Obi110 is designed to work with a landline/POTS phone line you could forward your GV calls to that line and it would work, but no one does that (on here) because it contradicts the purpose of dumping a high cost POTS line for a low/no cost GV VoIP line.