News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multiple OBi202's with Mirrored Settings (Inbound Call Issue)

Started by PremiumEntertainment, May 14, 2013, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PremiumEntertainment

My Situation:

I have 2 Obi202 devices (1 at work and 1 at home) and 2 Google Voice numbers with identically mirrored settings (SP1 is 1st GV # and SP2 is 2nd GV #). My reasoning is I want my inbound work calls to ring at home and also be able to call out with my GV work number from home.

Outbound calls work perfect. Inbound calls ring but when answered have no audio on either side of the call unless I call out and then immediately get a call back. So as it seems theres a "timeout" situation happening where the Obi doesn't know which device to route to because it has the same GV # on 2 devices. I'm told by tech support I shouldn't have the same GV info for multiple devices, but isn't that what this is?  (http://blog.obihai.com/2012/11/obi202-pre-release-software-rings.html)

I've researched this immensely and can't seem to find a solution. I know I can enter expert settings to forward incoming calls from OBi #1 to OB #2, but then I would have to have a different (3rd) GV # on OBi #2 for outgoing calls (which won't work as I need it to mirror my work numbers).

Any advice?

CoalMinerRetired

When you say exactly the same settings, do you mean the field X_XMPPPriority is also set the same on each device (found under SPx Service > Calling Features)? 

I don't know for sure this because I haven't personally tried it, I do believe those fields need to hold different values on different devices for the Simul Ring feature to work correctly.

And, BTW, that field X_XMPPPriority is what you'd call 'lightly documented'.

PremiumEntertainment

You're absolutely right about X_XMPPPriority being a "lightly documented" field. This is the first time I'm evening learning that it existed. I Just checked, and yes, the settings are the same on both devices.

They are both set to "0" with "OBiTalk Settings" checked.

CoalMinerRetired

I can't find it anywhere, bit I think you want either a) other than zero in those fields on both of the simul-ring devices, or b) set value in both devices to 127.

In hindsight, I don't know why I thought you want different values, an an option c) try a test of having one set to 127 and another to 126. 

Also try searching for "XMPP Priority" (search full internet not just obihai.com). An FYI, simul-ring does work, based on several people on here having reported using it successfully.

Maybe someone else will chime in here.

hwittenb

Quote from: PremiumEntertainment on May 14, 2013, 11:40:30 AM
My Situation:I want my inbound work calls to ring at home and also be able to call out with my GV work number from home.

GoogleVoice and sip voip for that matter are designed for a single discrete end point to register for incoming calls unless they specifically say that they have designed their system for multiple registrations.  In your case you state that GV support told you they did not design their system for multiple registrations.

The OBi design is such that you can configure an incoming GV call to ring the phone simultaneously on multiple OBi adapters.  Likewise you can setup one OBi to use the outbound account of another OBi for outgoing calls when you dial a specific pattern.

To ring the phone simultaneously on multiple OBi adapters you modify the X_InboundCallRoute of the incoming GoogleVoice SPx to ring both the phone attached to the local OBi and to send the call to the distant OBi using the OBiTalk network.

To setup one OBi to use the outbound account of another OBi for outgoing calls when you dial a specific pattern you can modify the Phone Port DigitMap to send the call over the OBiTalk network to the distant OBi and you modify the distant OBiTalk InboundCallRoute to dial the call coming from your other OBi on the receiving OBi's GoogleVoice SpX account.

QBZappy

This is the lazy man's way to do it. If you study the changes made by the wizard, you will most likely see the changes suggested by hwittenb.

Home to Office Phone System Extension Wizard
http://www.obihai.com/pbxExtension.html
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

CoalMinerRetired

I'm getting mixed up here. The wizard linked above and the recently introduced Google Voice Multi-Ring are not the same thing, correct?

Wizard: http://www.obihai.com/pbxExtension.html

Multi-Ring:
Quote from: OBiSupport on November 13, 2012, 07:29:41 PM
Current Pre-Release Firmware: OBi202 Release 3-0-1 (3585)

Click Here to Download

Release Note:
- Google Voice Multi-Ring: Use the same Google account on multiple OBi202 devices. Incoming calls to the associated Google Voice number will ring all OBi202 endpoints and the and the stand-alone Google Talk app (Gmail browser-based phone calling excluded).

QBZappy

CoalMinerRetired,

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on May 14, 2013, 06:39:37 PM
I'm getting mixed up here. The wizard linked above and the recently introduced Google Voice Multi-Ring are not the same thing, correct?

Wizard: http://www.obihai.com/pbxExtension.html

It is not the same thing. The above mentioned wizard plays off the Obi native capabilities, while The GV method plays off the XMPP capabilities. For the intended use, I think we have the same result. The GV method is limited to GV accounts only, while the OBi method would work with  sip, GV, and ObiTALK services.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.