News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

best way to forward calls using Obi??

Started by BillDoe, May 22, 2013, 11:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillDoe

I have GV paired with my Obi 110. When I go out of town I want to forward all calls to my cell phone and have them ring through immediately, as if there was no forwarding delay. Tried making the change through GV, figuring that's where the call hits first, but can't because GV limits you to one forwarding number per account (I know the trick of specifying one as home and one as work but for some reason it won't let me verify my cell a second time).

So what is the best way to accomplish this via Obitalk?

giqcass

Forget Obitalk.  This is still in Google Voices wheelhouse.  Add your cell phone as a temporary number under Google Voice. Here is how.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115084?hl=en
Long live our new ObiLords!

BillDoe

Brilliant...had no idea I had that option in GV. Funny thing is, I was trying to use my cell as a forwarding number on TWO GV numbers (had it working before I changed the cell #, then I couldn't get it to do the work/home dual forwarding thing anymore). It works fine on one GV#1, but couldn't get it to verify on GV #2 despite trying everything.

Strange...when I followed the instructions to set it up as a temporary forwarding #, GV recording said it already WAS a permanent forwarding number...very odd, because the GV website says it's not verified and when I tested it earlier my cell wouldn't ring, so there's a glitch somewhere...back to your suggestion...

I deleted it as a "non-verified forwarding number (??) from GV #2 and followed these steps and it worked perfectly. Testing confirmed it, slight 4-5 second lag between home line and cell line ringing...passed through caller ID data from originating number too, not my home phone, so I can still see WHO is calling when line is forwarded!!

Ideally, it would have been nice to have it permanently associated to GV #2, but this temporary forwarding option works just as well since I'd have to go into GV and activate/deactivate it to forward calls to my cell anyway.

Any idea if there is a limit on how long i can leave the temp number in place?

giqcass

I have used temporary numbers for long periods (months) without lapse.  I suspect there is no time limit.  The only limit I am aware of is each Google Voice number can have only 1 temporary forwarding number at a time.

BillDoe

I assume that since my cell phone is the last stop, calls that are temporarily forwarded go into THAT voicemail instead of GV (which serves home number via obi). this is important only in the sense that if i don't answer, they get my cell VM recording which could throw people off. Correct?

giqcass

Your cell phone isn't "the last stop".  All phones ring simultaneously.  Whichever voice mail picks up first wins.  Google Voice mail picks up after 25 seconds.  Your cell phone picks up after???? (Depends on your carrier)

BillDoe

Thanks Gigcass - great to know - it does not appear I can adjust VM pickup time in GV. extend my cell pickup time?

One last Q before I let you go off-topic...just what is SP2 used for? Can it be paired with another different GV number as a second line?

giqcass

You can usually adjust the time for the voice mail on your cell phone but Google Voice does not let you change the time on their end.  Google Voice picked 25 seconds because most voice mail system use 30 seconds.  This means Google Voice usually wins. 

SP2 can be used for another service.  Google voice or any sip provider you choose.  The model Obi you have only has one line but you can use distinctive ringing so you know the call is coming from the other account.

A second service provider is also useful if you want to forward calls.  The call will come in through SP1 and go out through SP2 or vise versa.  If you don't set up SP2 you can still forward a call through the Obi network to other Obi devices or the Obi app.

BillDoe

ironically, I have a second 110 I bought and never returned...any use for that? redundant to SP2 on the first device?