News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID based Distinctive Ring

Started by shadow700, April 06, 2011, 03:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow700

The feature I am looking for is the ability to have the endpoint device assign a ring based on Caller ID.

The device supports provider specified Distinctive Ring ("Alert-Info"), but not many providers offer this service.

Ideally, this would be accomplished by assigning Caller ID patterns to specific Ring Patterns:

8005551212 -> Ring Pattern 2
8005551313 -> Ring Pattern 3

and any limit on the number of numbers entered would be large (50 or more).

Thanks!

QBZappy

shadow700,

There is a way to send CID to fast busy tone. It is mentioned on the forum. I'm looking over the Ring Profiles. I'm wondering if we can use the same approach to send a number to a different Ring Pattern.

RonR, do you think this can be done?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

shadow700

I put an order in for two 110 units from Amazon today.

I'm hoping there is (or will be) a way to get distinctive ring working.

Is there anything I can do as a user that would get this feature closer to reality?

Thanks!

aberson

Ancient thread, but... anyone ever figure this out?

I don't see anything about it in the admin guide, but
if it were to ever exist, I would think it would be an argument of the "ph" in the inboundcallroute

something like:

x.1212:ph(2);x.1313:ph(3)

That this is just an idea of how they could implement it; I'm 99% sure it doesn't actually work like that...

Adam

Bob.

I would also like to know if this is possible.

My Linksys PAP2T did this very easily.  There was an place to enter a series of telephone numbers next to a ring pattern number.  If any of the listed phone numbers showed on the caller ID that ring pattern would ring.

So, my family and friends could have a different ring than everyone else who was calling.

This is a very important feature for me.

QBZappy

Bob.

Welcome Bob (with a dot)

Each SP has the choice of 2 possible ring profiles. Conceptually it might be possible to route incoming calls based on a CID list from a specific SP1 to SPX with a different ring tone profile.  Note that a SP can be sip/GV/Obi/PSTN (OBi110). The list would be separated using pipe symbol '|'.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

Ian,

Let me run this by you. I suspect that the above mentioned approach can also be applied using a sip uri to another SP account on the Obi itself. The second SP acct can be used with the register setting 'disabled' and routing the call using 'ipaddress:port#'. This might work as the dependency is that at least one acct is set up for sip. What do you think?

ianobi

QBZ,

Yes, it's really just a form of "call forking". I have not tested this exact type of configuration, but something like this should work:

Voice Services > SP1 Service > X_InboundCallRoute:
{(1222222222|1333333333|1444444444):sp1(Obi@192.168.1.13:5061)},{ph}

Where 12222222222 etc are the friends and family numbers and Obi@192.168.1.13:5061 is the local ip address of say sp2. Matched numbers incoming on sp1 would use another session of sp1 to be sent on to sp2 where they would use sp2's distinctive ring. All other calls would ring "ph" using sp1's distinctive ring.

If there are a lot of "friends and family" then the rule becomes rather long and it would be best to store them in a user defined digit map. Even that has a maximum limit of 512 characters.

This method is quite resource heavy as it uses two sessions on sp1 and one session on sp2 for each call. That might be a problem for a busy OBi device.

Bob.

Quote from: QBZappy on May 24, 2013, 05:04:52 PM
Bob.

Welcome Bob (with a dot)

Each SP has the choice of 2 possible ring profiles. Conceptually it might be possible to route incoming calls based on a CID list from a specific SP1 to SPX with a different ring tone profile.  Note that a SP can be sip/GV/Obi/PSTN (OBi110). The list would be separated using pipe symbol '|'.

Good catch on the dot.  The forum required a minimum 4 digit name.  While adding another o to the middle of my name might have accurate, it wouldn't have been appropriate.

I wasn't sure of how to do what you suggested.  I see that you asked Ian to help.  I'm trying his suggestion now.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob.

Quote from: ianobi on May 25, 2013, 08:52:43 AM

Where 12222222222 etc are the friends and family numbers and Obi@192.168.1.13:5061 is the local ip address of say sp2.

This method is quite resource heavy as it uses two sessions on sp1 and one session on sp2 for each call. That might be a problem for a busy OBi device.

I think I understand this, mostly.  I have tried this using my cell phone number for the incoming number.  I changed the IP address and port to the actual IP and port numbers of my SP2.  I couldn't get it to work.

Should I actually be using "Obi" before the @, or is that a place holder for something else I should be using? 

Under Voice Services -> SP2 what entries do I need, other than changing the port to 5061?

Do I need anything in SIP Credentials?

I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
Bob

QBZappy

Quote from: Bob. on May 25, 2013, 01:43:43 PM
Should I actually be using "Obi" before the @, or is that a place holder for something else I should be using?  

Just as it is written
Obi@your_ip:port#

Quote from: Bob. on May 25, 2013, 01:43:43 PM
Under Voice Services -> SP2 what entries do I need, other than changing the port to 5061?

Do I need anything in SIP Credentials?

X_ServProvProfile   = Something different than the SP it is coming from
X_CodecProfile = Whatever
X_InboundCallRoute = {ph}
X_RegisterEnable = Disabled
X_UserAgentPort = Make it unique

Bob.

Thanks, but all this does is send my call direct to voice mail.

I'm using CallCentric, if that is any help.

QBZappy

That was an important detail. The second SP slot needs to be empty for this to work. You may still want to fork it over to CC with the different ring pattern. I don't know if this will makes sense with all that implies in your working environment. It might be more trouble than it's worth. (unless you really want it)

Shale

If Bob gets it working, I think he is going to write it up with a HowTo summary.

Bob.

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say the "second SP slot needs to be empty.  Do you mean that under Voice Providers -> SP2 that all fields should be blank?  Or or your saying the under Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B that everything there should be blank?  This seems doubtful with what little I know about the Obi.

I also don't understand what you mean by "fork it over to CC with the different ring pattern."

I don't mind the trouble since I will only need to do this once.  I do really want this to work since I get a few business calls on the same number that family calls on.  After hours and on weekends I want to know whether to jump up and get the phone or just let it ring.

It was so easy with my Linksys PAP2T.  I'm almost thinking of going to the Cisco 112, even with its poor reviews.  The Obi sounds like a much better product.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bob

Bob.

Quote from: Shale on May 25, 2013, 03:36:05 PM
If Bob gets it working, I think he is going to write it up with a HowTo summary.

If Bob gets it working he's going to go out and get drunk celebrate.

Actually I'll be happy to write a how to if I can.

I'm new to the Obi family.  I've had Sipura and Linksys products for a long time and it seems the configuration was much easier.  Of course, there may have been a smaller set of features.  In this case, however, the feature I need seems difficult to implement.

Bob

ianobi

QuoteVoice Services > SP1 Service > X_InboundCallRoute:

Where 12222222222 etc are the friends and family numbers and Obi@192.168.1.13:5061 is the local ip address of say sp2. Matched numbers incoming on sp1 would use another session of sp1 to be sent on to sp2 where they would use sp2's distinctive ring. All other calls would ring "ph" using sp1's distinctive ring.

I have just tested this using my OBi110. Called in on sp1 (Sipgate.co.uk) call rang using sp2 ring pattern. Status > Call Status shows Call 1 incoming on sp1, being bridged back out on sp1 to Obi@192.168.1.13:5061, then Call 2 shows incoming on sp2 and ringing Phone 1.

The only problem I have is that the Peer Number (CallerID) is the AuthUserName of the service provider set up on sp1. This can only be corrected by allowing "Spoof CallerID". Most service providers do not allow that for outgoing calls.

My sp2 service is set as an unregistered "fake" service provider using these settings:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID : checked

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> Enable : (checked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : (any letters or numbers)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_UserAgentPort : 5471 (5061 is the default)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> CallerIDName : Whatever
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> MaxSessions : 4

The word Obi in Obi@192.168.1.13:5061 is not really a place holder. There just needs to be something there to suit the digit maps, anything will do.

I'm a bit busy today, but feel free to ask questions - tomorrow is a holiday and the forecast says rain all day - so I'll have plenty of time  :)

QBZappy

Quote from: ianobi on May 26, 2013, 04:29:39 AM
The only problem I have is that the Peer Number (CallerID) is the AuthUserName of the service provider set up on sp1. This can only be corrected by allowing "Spoof CallerID". Most service providers do not allow that for outgoing calls.

I don't remember if the OBiTALK service allows for two voice channels. If it does, I know that the OBiTALK service passes the correct CID. If the OBiTALK service can be used it will overcome the CID limitation, otherwise the CallCentric (credit to PC44) work around for a free sip solution will work. Then any OBi model (OBi100/110) with one phone port can be used to get distinctive ring.

This call strategy is probably better suited with an OBi202. I'll explain my idea in a moment. The OBi202 can be set up with two different phones. The call forking (ph1, ph2) can be used to identify each phone as a business or personal call. I believe with most new phones it may be possible to configure a ring tone.

Consider that some cordless phones also allow for different ring tones based on CID.

Bob you are in luck because CC passes CID. You might have a working solution here.

ianobi

More testing has solved most of the problems. I'm assuming that the incoming call is on sp1 and the aim is to use sp2 to get distinctive ringing for one set of calls.

Case 1: Voip provider allows CallerID spoofing

Use settings as detailed in Reply #16:

Add:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID : checked

The incoming call on sp1 will be bridged to sp2 and the sp2 ring pattern will be used to ring the phone. Caller Name and Caller ID should be seen on the phone.

Case 2: Voip provider does not allow CallerID spoofing

Use this setting:
{(1222222222|1333333333|1444444444):sp1(Obi@192.168.1.13:5061;ui=$1)},{ph}

The incoming call on sp1 will be bridged to sp2 and the sp2 ring pattern will be used to ring the phone. Caller Name will show as whatever is set here:
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> CallerIDName

Caller ID will be the correct CallerID from the original incoming call on sp1.

QBZappy