News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID based Distinctive Ring

Started by shadow700, April 06, 2011, 03:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob.

Quote from: ianobi on May 27, 2013, 08:01:04 AM
More testing has solved most of the problems. I'm assuming that the incoming call is on sp1 and the aim is to use sp2 to get distinctive ringing for one set of calls.

Sorry if I've led you down the wrong path.  Your assumption is not correct.  Let me give you more details of my setup and what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have a Obi202.  I have two lines with CallCentric.  One account is set to ring on phone1 and the other is set to ring on phone2.  I currently have line one set up on the Obi as sp1 and the other line as sp2.  Using your earlier directions I just substituted sp3 in place of where ever you said sp2 and using ProfileC where you specified ProfileB.

Family might call in on either line.  When any of them call in I want a different ring pattern than the default for that line.   So, I can't just direct all family calls on sp1 to sp2 and have that use a different ring pattern.

Does this make it easier or, more likely, more difficult?  I can do this on the Linksys/Cisco by entering the family phone numbers into the appropriate text box in the configuration screens.

BTW, I'll trade my house full of relatives today for your rainy day, and I'll through in dinner.

I haven't tried your latest solution since, based on the assumption you used, it won't work for my situation.

Continuing thanks for your efforts.

Bob

ianobi

Bob,

If you have sp3 set up as a "fake" service provider, then make sure it has a distinctive ring pattern different from sp1 and sp2. Then redirect family calls from sp1 and sp2 using:

Voice Services > SP1 Service > X_InboundCallRoute:
{(1222222222|1333333333|1444444444):sp1(Obi@192.168.1.13:5062)},{ph}

Voice Services > SP2 Service > X_InboundCallRoute:
{(1222222222|1333333333|1444444444):sp2(Obi@192.168.1.13:5062)},{ph2}

5062 is default UserAgentPort for sp3.

Or use the InboundCallRoute suggested for "Case 2" in my previous post suitably modified to 5062.

The ringing pattern used to ring either phone is determined by the spX Service settings independent of any phone settings.

Bob.

I'll give this a try tomorrow.  No more time to experiment today.  The relatives are due to start arriving within the next half hour.

I'll report back tomorrow and let you know how this works.

There's still time for you to accept my trade offer.

Bob

ianobi

Thanks for the offer - I'll stick with the rain option   :)

Setting the distinctive ring option for sp3 is a combination of X_RingProfile and X_DefaultRing. If you are really keen you can even design your own ring patterns - feeling musical?  8)

Bob.

Quote from: ianobi on May 27, 2013, 11:32:28 AM
Thanks for the offer - I'll stick with the rain option   :)

Good choice.

Ian and QBZ,

I really want to thank both of you for all the effort you've put in to help me resolve this.  I am very appreciative of your work.  But I never could get any of your suggestions to work.

I have settled on a much easier way to solve my needs.  I'm just going to get a Cisco SPA112.  I doesn't have all the features that the Obi does, but it does do the little bit I need.

Thanks again to both of you.
Bob

QBZappy

Bob,

Let this be a lesson for Obihai. Features drive interest in a product. Good luck.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Bob.

I was very surprised that this was not available on the Obi.  Everything I read praised Obi's feature set.  I understand that the people behind Obi were part of the Linksys PAP2T development team.

I guess the Obi is an 18 wheeler truck to haul every thing you have and all I need is a mini-van to get to kids to school.

Good news for me.  Just before ordering the Cisco, I decided to try another power transformer I had laying around on my dead Linksys PAP2T.  To my shock it worked.  The old wall wart must have started having some kind of problems.

Maybe when the Linksys does really die I'll check back on the Obi.

Thanks again for everything.

Bob (with a dot)

giqcass

I'm surprised Distinctive ring based on caller Id isn't available myself.  I'm pretty sure my pap2t na has that.
Good work on the fake service provider hack!

QuoteI guess the Obi is an 18 wheeler truck to haul every thing you have and all I need is a mini-van to get to kids to school.
I could live with the mini-van but it's more fun to drive the kids to school in an 18 wheeler.  ;D
Long live our new ObiLords!

ianobi

I was happy to be the test pilot to fly an original idea by QBZappy   :)

The hack worked fine for me, but does consume three sessions while in use - so rather resource heavy. The simple answer would be for OBihai to listen and provide what most other devices, cell phones etc provide as standard!

Bob.

giqcass,

Yes the Linksys PAP2T does do this very easily, as does the Cicso 112/122.  You only have to enter the phone numbers into a text box on the appropriate configuration screen.  Done.

Ian,

It's entirely possible that I didn't get the setup exactly right.  But, it just wasn't worth the fight.

Hopefully the Obi folks will see this thread and implement this in the future.  It is certainly a standard feature in many cell phones and even in some Voip providers.

Thanks,
Bob