News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Porting Old Vonage Number To Google Voice

Started by graybeard47, November 08, 2015, 10:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graybeard47

After reading a couple good outlines to keep an old phone number, I need to clarify the point on the account number that Google voice will need when this stage arises in the porting that can comprise the area code-phone number and or the pin, both which can total 10 digits

In my case the pin will be the one that I established with T-Mobile today.

My questions of the 10 digits

1.Is it the old Vonage number that is being ported by T-Mobile from Vonage or the new temporary phone number that T-Mobile issued. (Both have 10 with area code and phone number)

OR

2.Is the 10 digits the phone number without the area code and the pin. And if this is the correct form: phone number then pin number or visa versa?

Thank you

SteveInWA

See:  http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial

You will be first porting your Vonage number into T-Mobile, and then porting your number from T-Mobile to Google Voice.  So, Google needs your 10-digit telephone number (area code, prefix and last 4 digits), not the temporary T-Mobile number, which will disappear after the port from Vonage to T-Mobile.

Some important things to know:

• Vonage is notorious for fouling up number ports out of their service.  They are supposed to cancel your service on that number after the port is complete.  We've seen numerous cases where they leave the number active in their internal system, and/or keep billing you for it after the port.  This causes problems when other people try to call your number after it is ported to Google Voice.  Wait until a few days after you have confirmed that you are receiving inbound calls and texts on GV, and then contact Vonage to ensure that they have completely removed your number from their provisioning system.
  • After you port from Vonage to T-Mobile, I recommend waiting a day or two for the change to be broadcast out to all the carriers, before attempting the port into Google Voice.
  • Although the GV porting instructions imply that the port into GV will take 24 hours, it may take longer, and it happens in stages.  First, outbound calling will start working, then inbound calling should start working at the 24-hour mark (not sooner), and finally, it may take a couple more days for text messaging to be provisioned.  Don't be alarmed if there are delays, and above all, never cancel the port yourself, unless instructed to do so by Google.

SteveInWA

Also:  please read through this guide, to fully understand the steps to port into Google Voice:

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en&ref_topic=1708124