News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

As Google Voice merges with Hangouts, possible impact on Obi support?

Started by dconway, May 20, 2013, 04:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntonS

Good news. On the DSL reports website a report by a OBI competitor shows that they got GV working with Google+ hangouts. See
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28323794-
They say:We now have a prototype of the GVMate Phone Adapter using Hangouts up and running in the lab with Google Voice that supports both outgoing calling and incoming calling with CNAM caller name display. The same news for using the GVJackApp with a used/expired magicJack dongle.

Update: The one exciting thing found was that you can be signed into the same account at multiple locations and all of them ring when an incoming call arrives. Using Google Chat you could only really be signed in at one location at any given time to reliably receive incoming calls at that location.

Hopefully Obihai is taking notice and will follow suit.

Crow550

Contact Obi support with this info as we don't know how often they check these threads.

http://www.obihai.com/contact.html

giqcass

What I find interesting about this is that Google doesn't have Google+ Hangouts working with both incoming and outgoing calls.  I expected this to take a little longer.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Crow550

Check my post on the bottom of page 1.

Calling in & out works fine for voip software / devices as it always did.

The only issue is on a PC. You can get calls in easily. You can call out but it's a bit wonky right now. You have to start a hangout then add a phone number to dial out. They are going to fix this.

They haven't added 100% Google Voice support in Hangouts yet. Along with full SMS support.

However support for VOIP software & devices works as they always have. However it also seems on the top of this page that some people have found out how to use the PC G-Voice Hangouts calling which offers better features like built in Caller ID support with full name display.