News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SIP providers who allow GV # porting?

Started by AntonS, May 21, 2013, 10:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntonS

As one can see from:
<http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5954.0>
and
<http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/KeGKxbyjSfs>
the days of the Obi's working with Google Voice are probably numbered. I have seen earlier a discussion about SIP providers working with OBi's, but don't remember seeing it explicitly stated which ones allow porting in a GV number (and for what fee if any). Does anyone have that information at hand?
Thanks.

giqcass

Most will allow porting.  Try this tool to see if you can port to Callcentric for example.  I have heard murmurs that a Google Voice number from a few unusual (probably rural) area codes can not be ported to certain providers.

www.callcentric.com/lnp/

I really doubt this is something you need to worry about any time soon. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

SteveInWA

Quote from: giqcass on May 21, 2013, 01:19:58 PM
Most will allow porting.  Try this tool to see if you can port to Callcentric for example.  I have heard murmurs that a Google Voice number from a few unusual (probably rural) area codes can not be ported to certain providers.

www.callcentric.com/lnp/

I really doubt this is something you need to worry about any time soon. 

Google Voice numbers issued by Google (as opposed to those ported in to GV from another carrier), are land line CLEC numbers, mostly from bandwidth.com, a major, nationwide CLEC who also supplies other VoIP service providers.  There should be no problem porting them into quality VoIP ISPs (e.g. Anveo, Callcentric, voip.ms).  Where things get a bit less certain are numbers ported into GV, and then ported out.  For example:  you had landline service from some "Baby Bell" ILEC back in the 1990s.  You then ported it to Vonage, then to AT&T Wireless, then to Google Voice.  The number, once released from GV, still "belongs" to whatever that old ILEC is now called.  So, the success depends on who was the original carrier, and how cooperative they are with porting.