News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Virtual area code caller ID

Started by giqcass, May 23, 2013, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giqcass

I would love to be able to assign a virtual area code to the other service providers.  When someone calls from service provider 2 you can have a distinctive ring but that doesn't work if you are on the phone already.  In addition if someone calls you on service provider 2 and you call them back you must manually dial the call and select the service provider.  Using my idea a call coming from service provider two would use a virtual area code in incoming the caller ID. 
1-555-555-5555 would instead look something like **2-555-555-5555

Then we could see on the caller ID that a call came from SP2 if we were in a call.  In addition when we returned the call it would automatically select service provider 2 to place the return call.  This would be particularly useful on the new Obi device as it has four service providers but only one phone port.

SMS message already changes the caller ID to add a number to the end.  It probably would not be that much work to add something to the beginning of the Caller ID.
Long live our new ObiLords!

QBZappy

giqcass,

I believe that ianobi has come up with a dial plan which adds the incoming SP to the CID. I don't know if it will make an outboud call based on that CID. Look up his posts. There is a good chance that ian will reply himself.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

It did not occur to me that was a possibility.  Now that I think about one of Olegs posts I can kind of see how CID might be accessed.  I'll need to do so digging.

I did find part of a conversation about altering CID already.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4258.msg29501#msg29501

ianobi

giqcass

This appears to be exactly what I wanted to do.    The Obi would be a tremendous device if the features were better documented.

ianobi

I'm not sure that Obihai have worked out some of what their OBi devices can do!

I got to the answer in that post by chance followed by a lot of trial and error   :)

QBZappy

Hey guys,

I think some of the users here on the forum would come up with a better user guide. At least a chapter on the topic of 'real world' use case examples. Now that is an interesting idea!? Imagine obihai asking user input in their next reiteration of the user guide.  Potential new customers might get the idea that obihai listens to user suggestions. :)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

carl

Quote from: QBZappy on May 26, 2013, 09:24:45 AM
Hey guys,

Potential new customers might get the idea that obihai listens to user suggestions. :)

yeah right. ;D