News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Voice quality issues

Started by moojuice, June 01, 2013, 01:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moojuice

Quick explanation of setup:

Obi100 in shed with phone. Ethernet cable to house. Obi110 plugged into ethernet and British Telecom master socket.
As per http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5809

The system seems to work. I can pick up the shed phone and within a second or two I can hear the PSTN dialtone. When I go to dial out, the first couple of DTMF tones are echo'ed back really loudly into my phone's earpiece. I'm guessing that's because the echo detection hasn't kicked in yet.

Whilst talking to someone on the line, their voice becomes heavily attenuated if I'm talking at the same time and it then takes a second before their voice attenuation is relaxed and I can hear them again at full volume. It's like the Obi doesnt support full equal volume duplex voice.

I have enabled 100mbps full duplex on both devices. Tried high and low silence detection, various codecs, silence suppression ticked and unticked, raised and lowered the gain levels on the OBi110 line port and OBi100 phone port. Nothing seems to make much difference. Experiemted with different line impedances too as I'm using all UK based equipment.

These boxes have 1001 different options, but none of them actively allow me to tweak the echo and full duplex line levels. Any advice welcomed!

Shale

The impedance settings look interesting, but as far as I can tell, those are only for the phone port that connects to your telephone instrument. So with short distance from OBi to phone, impedance would not be at all critical.

I don't have any ideas for your echo suppression and semi-half-duplex thing.