News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

When setting up a NEW Google Voice account, you may need to do this

Started by Koby, May 27, 2013, 06:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koby

I had occasion to help set up a new Google Voice account and noticed that Google Talk was not available as a destination by default, so I did the usual trick of switching over to Gmail to place one call from the web interface.  But because it was a new account, it started out with Hangouts enabled and not Google Voice, and no phone icon was shown!  However there is a dropdown menu in the lower part of the left hand column, which in this case was slow to appear (Google was having some server issues), but once it showed up I could go into that menu and there was an option to revert back to using Google Talk.  Once I did that, the page refreshed and the phone icon appeared, and then I could make the one call from the browser that sets up Google Talk as a destination in Google Voice.

This implies that if Google ever stops offering the option to revert to Google Talk rather than using Hangouts, it might not be possible to get a new Google Voice account and use it with an Obihai device, because it won't be possible to enable Google Talk as a destination. :'(  Let's hope that doesn't happen anytime soon!

CoalMinerRetired

This is somewhat of a hot topic on the tech websites that follow Google and what's new their product offerings. One pretty good summary: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/19/4346910/google-hangouts-upgrade-removes-host-google-voice-calls-gmail.  The GV product Forum thread linked in the article is also insightful, in which a GV 'Community Manager' replies, in a soft of ambiguous way, IMO.

Your point that a newly created GV account defaults to Hangouts, rather than Google Talk, is pretty important. I would hope Obi updates their tutorials and videos so new users (or old users creating new GV accounts for friends and family) do not get tripped up.