News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multiple OBI devices on same subnet

Started by Wrentham-Joe, June 03, 2013, 08:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrentham-Joe

Hi,

I'm pretty new at this.  I have an OBI100 at home that works fine.  However, I'd like to set up a total of three phones, each with different Google Voice accounts.  Can I put more than one OBI device on a LAN and have it work properly?  I know I can get two phone lines with an OBI202, but can I have an OBI202 and an OBI100 or two OBI202 devices?  Any ideas?  It is for a non profit, that has virtually no money, so I'm looking for something without recurring costs, especially as this would probably get used only during a local disaster.

Thanks everybody!

CoalMinerRetired

Yes, there's nothing special you have to do to put multiple devices on a small LAN.

One good practice is configure the router to always assign the same IP address to the Obis (reserved IP address by MAC address it's sometimes called). This is not something unique to multiple Obis, it's the way to go even with one Obi device on a LAN.

> ...would probably get used only during a local disaster.
More advice. Setup a recurring (weekly, monthly) test, make one out bound and receive one inbound call on each device. You do not want to find out thinsg donlt work when you 'need it most.'