News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Firmware Update notifications

Started by JavaPop, June 04, 2013, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JavaPop

Is there any way to get update notifications so we don't find ourselves out of town.... like today, and try to call our 14 year at home, and not be able to get through because of a firmware update needed? Wasn't an emergency; but was thinking that it could be, and an auto notification for upcoming firmware dates would be helpful to update (before we go out of the house!)

Thanks!

LeoKing

I disabled the Auto Firmware Update in the Auto Provisioning section in the HTML Setup Wizard. The OBi Dashboard will notify me of the available update with the green triangle and the ! in it. I then will update the firmware whenever I feel like to do it by clicking on the green triangle.

Rick

Agree on disabling auto firmware update.  I don't use anything but direct access to update my OBi via it's IP address.

I then subscribed to this thread to be notified of updates: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Just a note about firmware updates.  Many devices you own have firmware - routers, switches, OBis, etc.   Your computer has updates from Microsoft, as well as the manufacturer, including bios, drivers, chipset, and many more.  With the exception of security updates, many updates aren't needed - for example your PC manufacturer may update a driver to use with a new OS that you don't have.  Or for new model PCs that you don't own but share a common driver with.

Firmware updates can brick a device.  They can also take a device that works and make it not work, because of some change, usage, or external condition that the manufacturer didn't anticipate.

If your device is working, and the manufacturer issues a firmware update, READ IT CAREFULLY.  If it fixes some esoteric problem that you've never had, or never will have, why update?  And, if you do update, I STRONGLY ADVISE DOWNLOADING FIRMWARE FILES AND STORING THEM before updating, so you have the possibility of downgrading in the future (although sometimes that won't work).

Lavarock7

When I was in the computer business, our motto was "Never accept .0 versions of any software, wait for .1" meaning that when a software version is issued, people will load it and even though it has been tested, the sheer mass of people trying it will uncover problems. Very soon thereafter some of those initial problems will be fixed and another patch sent out.

When any patch or software version is new, WAIT a while to see if it has problems. Then install.

There have been some cases where I get a call on Wednesday mornings that "something happened overnight". My first thought is Microsofts Patch Tuesday.

After decades of being on the "leading/bleeding" edge of technology, I'm happy to sit back and let others test software before I delve into it.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

JavaPop

This is what it looks like by default

AND then by unchecking the OBiTALK settings and device default checkmarks:

Quote from: LeoKing on June 04, 2013, 06:59:04 PM
I disabled the Auto Firmware Update in the Auto Provisioning section in the HTML Setup Wizard. The OBi Dashboard will notify me of the available update with the green triangle and the ! in it. I then will update the firmware whenever I feel like to do it by clicking on the green triangle.

Will doing it the second way turn off auto updates?

Quote from: LeoKing on June 04, 2013, 06:59:04 PM

LeoKing

The 1st picture in your post (the default) looks OK to me, I don't know why it updated the firmware on its own. I suggest you open the HTML Setup Wizard of the OBi device to make sure the Auto Provisioning Method is set to Disabled.

Tiger1265

Hi, How can I go to the HTML Setup Wizard? Thanks.