News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Porting Time Warner Cable Phone # to OBi110

Started by MichaelC, June 04, 2013, 08:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelC

I have a time warner cable VOIP number I use for business that I MUST Keep.  I picked up a google voice account about a year ago and have been putting my google voice number on all my business marketing materials. 

I want to port over the current time warner cable VOIP number and hook it up with my OBi110.  I realize I may have to buy some pay as you go phone, but I'm willing to do what's necessary to keep my business line.    ;D

Shale

You don't need to port via a cellphone account, unless you are porting to Google. If you port to a VOIP provider, then that is not needed. My port to Anveo from my wire phone took just under a week to complete. I expect other VOIP providers, such as Callcentric and VOIP.ms,  to be as successful. Do not drop the TW voice service until your port is complete. There is something to be said for using more than one service. The popular VOIP providers are cheap compared to your TW service. GV is free thru 2013, but beyond that is not known.

If you are porting to GV, there are a lot of discussions on porting via a prepaid cellphone that a search will find, including the sticky thread on this forum.

MichaelC

I do not want to port to another service, I want port my TWC to GV. 

I currently have a GV number I use for all of my marketing materials.  I have this GV number ring my TWC line.

My question is, how do I get my TWC over to GV?
Is it possible to have my marketing material GV account forward to my other GV number?

Shale

Quote from: MichaelC on June 05, 2013, 10:48:01 AM
I do not want to port to another service, I want port my TWC to GV. 

I currently have a GV number I use for all of my marketing materials.  I have this GV number ring my TWC line.

My question is, how do I get my TWC over to GV?
See this thread:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1051.0
Quote from: MichaelC

Is it possible to have my marketing material GV account forward to my other GV number?
Yes. That would best be done in your GV account for the number that you want to transfer rather than in the OBi.

Rick

You cannot forward a GV number to another GV number.  However, you can have the new number be the main number and the other be the secondary number.  When people call the secondary number, it rings the main number.

Or, get an OBi110 and setup both GV accounts.  Calls to either number ring the phone.  Make a call on either number by dialing **1 or **2 before the call.

MichaelC

Thanks Rick.

I have already purchased the OBi110.  I an just looking at my porting options.

I don't have a T mobile account.  I am a verizon cell phone customer.

I have no idea what a sim card is as well.

Shale

For your situation, would get a second GV account and port to that. It may be handy to have two accounts.

LeoKing

T-Mobile Prepaid is having free SIM activation kit promotion, just use the code 99SIM at checkout to get $0 charge for the kit and free shipping. You can order 2 kits max. I think the promotion is still valid as of today.

Rick

Quote from: MichaelC on June 06, 2013, 11:34:49 AM
Thanks Rick.

I have already purchased the OBi110.  I an just looking at my porting options.

I don't have a T mobile account.  I am a verizon cell phone customer.

I have no idea what a sim card is as well.

Then I suggest you do some reading  ;).  The porting process is well documented and you'll need to use a cell account of some type that will be closed as part of the port, which is why people usually get an AT&T Go Phone or put a cheap/free T-Mobile sim card (Google is your friend) in an unlocked AT&T phone or a T-Mobile phone.  Verizon phones work on a different network and are not compatible.

RFord

Quote from: LeoKing on June 06, 2013, 12:45:16 PM
T-Mobile Prepaid is having free SIM activation kit promotion, just use the code 99SIM at checkout to get $0 charge for the kit and free shipping. You can order 2 kits max. I think the promotion is still valid as of today.

Thanks for the heads up on the T-Mobile deal.  I order two SIM cards and yesterday and although I have no immediate need, I will hang on to them until such time as the need arise.  When I did the check out, the total cost was $0.00 for both!

LeoKing

I also ordered 2 SIM kits for my relatives.

MichaelC

I have been trying to get a free cell phone from a friend, but that hasn't worked out.  I don't even know what a SIM card does.  Sucks that Verizon doesn't allow this porting as I have an old Verizon cell phone that isn't in use.

With that being what would be my best and cheapest way to get this done?  I have an OBi110 just sitting here in my office!  ???

dircom

Quote from: MichaelC on July 30, 2013, 12:10:46 PM
I have been trying to get a free cell phone from a friend, but that hasn't worked out.  I don't even know what a SIM card does.  [google could help you on that]

Sucks that Verizon doesn't allow this porting as I have an old Verizon cell phone that isn't in use.
[you can use Verizon]

With that being what would be my best and cheapest way to get this done?  I have an OBi110 just sitting here in my office!  ???

borrow a tmobile phone from a friend, or buy a cheap one on craigslist, or try freecycle.org, then get a cheap tmobile sim card from tmobile.com

RFord

You SHOULD be able to port your number to the Verizon and then to Google Voice.  GV can only port from a Mobile Carrier at this time.  The limiting issue is whether GV can port YOUR specific number, which depends on the rate center that the number is located.  GV uses Bandwidth.com for their DIDs and they do not have a presence in every Rate Center.  So, if Bandwidth.com doesn't have a presence in your rate center, you will not be able to port YOUR number to GV irrespective of which Mobile Carrier you use as the intermediate.

You can use the link below to see if Bandwidth.com can port your number.  You need the first 6 numbers of your DID to use the tool:

NPA-NXX

http://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_telco.php?ocn_name=bandwidth&npa=&ocn=

I have been trying to get a free cell phone from a friend, but that hasn't worked out.  I don't even know what a SIM card does.  Sucks that Verizon doesn't allow this porting as I have an old Verizon cell phone that isn't in use.

With that being what would be my best and cheapest way to get this done?  I have an OBi110 just sitting here in my office!  ???

Rick

I'd recommend you return the OBi.  Every step in this process us going to be difficult for you. 

MichaelC

Quote from: RFord on July 30, 2013, 12:29:48 PM
You SHOULD be able to port your number to the Verizon and then to Google Voice.  GV can only port from a Mobile Carrier at this time.  The limiting issue is whether GV can port YOUR specific number, which depends on the rate center that the number is located.  GV uses Bandwidth.com for their DIDs and they do not have a presence in every Rate Center.  So, if Bandwidth.com doesn't have a presence in your rate center, you will not be able to port YOUR number to GV irrespective of which Mobile Carrier you use as the intermediate.

You can use the link below to see if Bandwidth.com can port your number.  You need the first 6 numbers of your DID to use the tool:

NPA-NXX

http://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_telco.php?ocn_name=bandwidth&npa=&ocn=

What are my 6 numbers of my DID?

MichaelC

Quote from: Rick on July 30, 2013, 12:51:42 PM
I'd recommend you return the OBi.  Every step in this process us going to be difficult for you. 

Just bc. I am totally new to SIM cards and parting doesn't make me an idiot.  The only cell provider I have EVER used is Verizon.  Nobody where I live has a T mobile phone.  Those things are garbage.

Rick

Michael:

These forums are for people to ask for help when they've got an OBi and they don't understand some part of how to use it - or they have problems with it.  The volunteers on this site provide support.  OBi also has a ticket system for customers to ask OBi for help.

OBi devices power phone service for many Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) providers.  Moving your phone number from your current provider to a VOIP provider, including Google Voice, is outside the OBi -and people on the forum have provided numerous posts on how to do that.

Using an OBi is not for the non-technically inclined.  It is not a seamless process, there are issues, and OBi is not an aggressive customer support company.  In other words, you have to have some technical bent to want to go this route, IMHO.

You seem to have little interest in a) reading, b) following instructions, or c) using the internet to lookup things you don't understand.  We've provided answers to you over the past few months, and you've now popped back on after 6 weeks since you last asked questions.

You can port your number with T-Mobile (and no, their phones are not garbage), AT&T or Verizon.  You've been provided with that info.  It is irrelevant who your cell phone service is with today.  Porting is temporary, and can be with multiple cell companies.  Pick the cheapest option.

You don't know what a SIM card is.  Google provides the answer: https://www.google.com/search?q=what+does+a+sim+card+do&oq=what+does+a+sim+card+do&aqs=chrome.0.69i57j5j0l2j69i62l2.3120j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8  Now you know.

Whatever cell company you use, when the port is done the account gets closed automatically.  People use pay as you go phones.  You can buy these at most stores or online.  Want to use your Verizon phone?  No problem.  Call them and tell them what phone you have and ask if they will activate it on a pay as you go plan.   There are posts all over the forum about this, including ones where I have provided a link to a cheap pay as you go phone. 

When you port, you may, or may not, run into issues that you'll have to work out with the cell company.  Google provides NO SUPPORT.  This isn't for the faint of heart.

Have you added your existing GV number to your OBi and gotten that to work?  If you can't make that work then your new ported number also won't work.  And you've been told that you will not be able to have one GV number forward to the other, so this may not help you get to your final destination anyway, unless you're planning on having each GV number ring separately via the OBi.  By the way, also explained on the forum is that if you setup a GV number to also ring your regular cell phone, you cannot setup a 2nd GV number to also ring that cell phone.  "Forwarding phones" cannot be setup on more than one GV account.

Hope this helps.

Shale

Let me offer another view. Porting a number to GV has nothing to do with OBiHau. I think submitting an OBI trouble ticket for help in porting to GV would be inappropriate.  Despite that, there is a long sticky thread with people's porting experiences and advice on this forum: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1051.0

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/voice
Google has a porting-in  FAQ at <https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en&ctx=cb&src=cb&cbid=-1x337grbgteon>

Lavarock7

My personal opinion (for what it's worth) is that I would not rely upon GoogleVoice for a business. Perhaps you don't really get many calls and just want to keep the number because it is on business cards, etc. Still, GV may not be free in the future, it is not the easiest thing to port a non cellphone number to them and that may fail.

Yes, GV is free to call out and receive calls, but also has it's own problems.

For a business line, I would personally port the number to a regular VOIP provider for a small fee each year. Sure free each month is great but not if it involves all sorts of hassles.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com