News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 intermittently cannot make outgoing land line calls

Started by bbiggs, June 02, 2013, 08:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbiggs

I bought an OBi110 a few months ago.  I have set it up to use my land line as primary and a Google Voice line as secondary.  I'm making sure the device itself works before I permanently port my land line to GV.

I was using the GV number as PRIMARY for a while, but I recently switched it back to use the land line as PRIMARY.  Now, about 1 out of every 3-5 OUTGOING calls that I make rings ONE TIME and then gives me a whistle that the call can't be completed.

Also, when I have voice messages waiting on my land line, my phone's message waiting indicator does not flash.

My next step may be to do a factory reset on the device and start over with the configuration.

I'm not sure what else to do/check to get these things working.  Any help is appreciated.

Jackson

dialbmay

Quote from: bbiggs on June 02, 2013, 08:34:20 AM
I bought an OBi110 a few months ago.  I have set it up to use my land line as primary and a Google Voice line as secondary.  I'm making sure the device itself works before I permanently port my land line to GV.

I was using the GV number as PRIMARY for a while, but I recently switched it back to use the land line as PRIMARY.  Now, about 1 out of every 3-5 OUTGOING calls that I make rings ONE TIME and then gives me a whistle that the call can't be completed.

Also, when I have voice messages waiting on my land line, my phone's message waiting indicator does not flash.

My next step may be to do a factory reset on the device and start over with the configuration.

I'm not sure what else to do/check to get these things working.  Any help is appreciated.

I never met your situation. I also bought one, earlier than you! But now it seems my luck is better.
Yet there have been no crash situation.
A new Diablo 3 gold provider diablo3goldtaker is on market.
Diablo 3 Gold

bbiggs

Yes, I have cycled the power numerous times.

Here is the XML Call History for three calls I made this evening to the same number (I've replaced the actual number with asterisks).

Quote<CallHistoryFile>
<CallHistory date="6/2/2013" time="21:57:30">
  <Terminal id="PHONE1" dir="Outbound">
    <Peer name="" number="*******"/>
    <Event time="21:57:30">New Call</Event>
    <Event time="21:58:09">End Call</Event>
  </Terminal>
  <Terminal id="LINE1" dir="Outbound">
    <Event time="21:57:35">Call Connected</Event>
  </Terminal>
</CallHistory>
<CallHistory date="6/2/2013" time="21:43:18">
    <Event time="21:43:18">New Call</Event>
  </Terminal>
    <Event time="21:43:23">Call Connected</Event>
    <Event time="21:43:44">End Call</Event>
  </Terminal>
</CallHistory>
<CallHistory date="6/2/2013" time="20:17:19">
    <Event time="20:17:19">New Call</Event>
    <Event time="20:17:30">End Call</Event>
  </Terminal>
    <Event time="20:17:24">Call Connected</Event>
  </Terminal>
</CallHistory>

The calls at 20:17:19 and 21:57:30 went through fine.  It rang 3 or 4 times, the other end picked up, and then I hung up.

The call at 21:43:18 rang one time, and then I got 6 "busy beeps", followed by a disconnect.  This looks like the call is disconnected on different sides (my side or the phone company).

I suppose it could be the phone company itself, but considering this line has been working flawlessly forever, that seems unlikely.

ianobi

Try increasing Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > DialDelay from 500 to 1000. This increases the time taken after the OBi110 seizes the PSTN line to one second before it sends out DTMF digits. This gives the PSTN line time to settle and gives the local exchange equipment more time to be ready to receive the digits.

At default settings, the first burst of ringing you hear when dialling a PSTN call is sent to you by your OBi110 as some sort of "reassurance tone" while it is setting up the call. This can be confusing as most users assume it must be from the local Telco exchange.

Also at default settings, your OBi110 will always show "Call connected" in Call History whether or not the call has actually connected. This is due to the default setting:
Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > DetectOutboundConnectMethod: Assume connected after a short delay

bbiggs

The DialDelay setting seems to have done it.  I've gone a couple of days now with no problems with outgoing calls.  Thanks again for the advice!

Now, I'm still having a problem with the message waiting light not blinking on our phones when we have messages waiting on the local exchange line.  Any thoughts on how to fix that one?

ianobi

As far as I know VMWI (Visual Message Waiting Indication) is only available for Google Voice or SIP service providers. I don't think the OBi110 has any way to process a VMWI signal from a PSTN land line.

Shale

Quote from: ianobi on June 06, 2013, 05:12:22 AM
As far as I know VMWI (Visual Message Waiting Indication) is only available for Google Voice or SIP service providers. I don't think the OBi110 has any way to process a VMWI signal from a PSTN land line.

I was under the impression that the OBi110 could connect to the line to see if the dial tone was stuttering, but I don't know where I got that impression.

Under voice services for each SP, my OBi202 has
MWIEnable   
MWIEnable2 (default off)
X_VMWIEnable (default off)
X_VMWIEnable2 (default off)
MessageWaiting (read-only indicator)

I wonder if the OBi110 has similar settings for the Line service.

ianobi

QuoteI was under the impression that the OBi110 could connect to the line to see if the dial tone was stuttering, but I don't know where I got that impression.

This can be done by pressing "#" which connects the phone port through to the line port and gives you PSTN dial tone. This way you will hear stutter dial tone if it is there, but no visual indication. Then you can dial directly out on the PSTN line, but you lose digit map transformations and Call History only records "#" as the outgoing number.

QuoteUnder voice services for each SP, my OBi202 has
MWIEnable  

MWIEnable2 (default off)
X_VMWIEnable (default off)
X_VMWIEnable2 (default off)
MessageWaiting (read-only indicator)

I wonder if the OBi110 has similar settings for the Line service.

Sadly, the answer is no! I'm not sure why not. The OBi110 can detect four different types of CallerID coming in from a PSTN line, but no other data messages seem to be allowed for.