News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Local number dialing... One ring then static

Started by Lisefd, May 27, 2013, 11:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisefd

Hi all,
I installed an Obi 110 about two months ago and it worked great until last week. Now when I dial a local number (out over the PSTN line, Verizon) I hear one ring then loud static or, some times one ring then silence. Inbound calls to the PSTN line work fine and toll calls out through Google Voice are OK. I by-passed the OBI box and dialed out which was OK too. Any idea what could cause this? Also rebooted the Obi box and the modem.

TIA

ianobi

Pressing # should give you PSTN dial tone directly. If it does, try dialling a number - use the full number as no digit maps are used this way.

When dialling the normal way from the phone without pressing # first, while the call is still ongoing, have a look in the OBi expert pages at Status > Call Status. It should show what digits you dialled from the phone and what digits were sent out to line.

When no call is ongoing, what does Status > PHONE & LINE Status > Line Port Status > TipRingVoltage show? It should be around 45v.

By the way, that first burst of ringing tone is generated by the OBi itself under default settings as some sort of "reassurance" while it is setting up a PSTN call, so it's not coming from Verizon.

Lisefd

Pressing # does not give a dial tone. I tried dialing # plus area code and local number... silence.

Update: Calls are going out when dialed and called party can hear me but I can not hear the called party.  Also inbound local calls I can not hear the calling party. Phone rings, answer and silence.

ianobi

Looks like the Line Port incoming audio path is broken. Time to submit a support ticket:

http://www.obihai.com/supportTicketForm2.php

ProfTech

You might try setting Physical Interfaces -> Line Port -> DialDelay to 1000 before you contact ObiHai. I fought similar line port issues for a year before someone put me on to this simple change. Cured all of the issues. One of my 110's was exhibiting strange results similar to yours when dialing out. Dead air, static, weird recordings.

Shale

Quote from: ProfTech on May 30, 2013, 06:05:27 AM
You might try setting Physical Interfaces -> Line Port -> DialDelay to 1000 before you contact ObiHai. I fought similar line port issues for a year before someone put me on to this simple change. Cured all of the issues. One of my 110's was exhibiting strange results similar to yours when dialing out. Dead air, static, weird recordings.

Interesting idea. DialDelay is the "Delay in milliseconds before dialing out the first digit to the PSTN line after the OBi takes the LINE port hardware to the Off-Hook state. This is a simple way to allow the PSTN company time to get ready to receive DTMF signals from the OBi without having the OBi monitor dial tone from the PSTN company" The default is 500 milliseconds.

After thinking further, I suspect that is not going to be the cure in this case, because dialing # should still have worked if the problem was not waiting long enough to start dialing. It would not hurt to try the DialDelay first, but I think ianobi's suggestion is probably the way to go.

Lisefd

Well, I've opened a ticket but haven't had much luck with tech support. They asked VIA email if they could call an 800 number on my PSTN line which I agreed to. After not hearing from the for a couple days, I called Tech Support. The support tech also said he wanted to call an 800 number using my PSTN line and would then reply in an email what he found.  Again two days later and still no reply.
Has anyone else had these support troubles?

TIA

orangelau

I had the same problem before. I reset the "phone" & "line" setting to default, then set it again, everything is Ok after that