December 13, 2017, 08:26:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do soft phones have to be on the same LAN as the Obi device?  (Read 37246 times)
jayjr1105

« on: June 10, 2013, 12:09:39 pm »

Hey all, new Obi100 user here.  I have it working well with google voice and even have the android app running well.  Now I am just trying to get the softphone apps to work on windows.  I see that you need the Obiapp installed along side an actual sip softphone app.  I have tried microsip and jitsi and I guess I just dont know what I'm doing with the settings.  I see a lot of 127.0.0.1 input, does that mean you have to have the softphone app on the same LAN as the Obi100?  If so could I VPN home and then would it work?  Any settings advice for use of those apps would be great as well. 

Thanks!
dircom

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:56:57 pm »

I used the 3CX softphone, and outgoing work fine, not sure about incoming yet
(called it while I was waiting for my car to get worked on, my first real phone call from a laptop)
xzaphod2

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 06:42:08 pm »

127.0.0.1 is the loopback interface on almost every IPv4 device. What using the loopback interface means is your (3CXPhone) softphone is going to find OBiAPP running on the same (in this case) computer. If that's not true, then your configuration of your softphone must change. OBiAPP provides a network interface to the OBIverse (OBIHAI's universe of servers and equipment).

My understanding of the OBIverse is:

OBiAPP needs to be able to communicate with OBIHAI servers on the Internet. When OBiAPP starts, it logs into the OBIHAI server which then knows that OBiAPP needs to be notified when the OBI softphone number is prompted to ring (presumably by your OBIxxx box).

Therefore it should not matter if your OBiAPP is on the same network as your OBIxxx box as long as both can communicate with the OBIHAI servers.

If your OBiAPP is running on a different computer than your softphone, then you should use that remote machine's network IP address instead of 127.0.0.1. It should not matter if these are on separate networks except you are going to be transmitting a data stream from OBiAPP to the softphone; if you're using WiFi in there, you could see loss of data (a choppy phone call, or worse).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: