News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Choppy audio while Google voice call

Started by Ooga, April 07, 2011, 09:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ooga

I have tried the Obi110 with analog phone and with the android app and i am still getting choppy audio even with enough bandwidth and ports forwarded to the obi.

is anyone else having choppy audio issues?

yhfung

Where did you make your call? From the United States?

How about if you make a GV call using the PHONE port? What is the voice quality? Still choppy?

YH
Hong Kong and China OBi Users Group
www.telecom-cafe.com

Ooga

Yes I did that. the call was made in and to the united states and i tried using a phone as well as using the obi app for android while on wifi and still the sound was choppy.

The firmware is the newest they have and the config is stock.

before opening up some ports it seems like every first word out of a sentence would get chopped off and now it is better where someone would be talking and every 2 seconds there  would be a hiccup but the reciever is hearing alot of choppy audio that is worse than what i am hearing. :(

is there a configuration i have to do to get this working ok or did i get a bad box?

the only thing i am thinking of is the codec used by the box is not allowing for lattency verry well and that is causing the skipping or the box is not processing the audio fast enough so it buffers and drops parts heck if i know.

Is there anything i can do?

QBZappy

Ooga,

Hi,
Try connecting the OBi directly to the modem. Some issues with various routers have been mentioned. This will allow you to see if the router is the problem.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Ooga

I have tried a Linksys bfsr41 router and a Dlink dir655 and had the same issue but i can try plugging it directly into the modem

QBZappy

Ooga,

There are a few references re Dlink 655 routers on this forum. I don't know if  the info in this thread will help. Have a look.

See this thread:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=33.0
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Jeff205

I am having similar issues.  What is the recommended bandwidth with the Obi and GV?  I currently have 15Mbps down and 1Mbps up. The upstream concerns me, but I am having trouble hearing the party on the other end (it's not just them having trouble hearing me).  I want to use the Obi and GV as my primary line and would be willing to ramp-up my bandwidth when I drop my cable provided VOIP, but I want to work out all the kinks first.

Also, I will test a direct connection to my modem.

daibaan

GV uses G711u, which consumes 64Kbit up and 64Kbit down, the actual bandwidth usage is around 80 Kbit up/down, (this include G711u encoding + IP overhead) when I look at my ethereal packet trace (just from my memory)