News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Easy way to change wireless networks?

Started by Mack002, July 31, 2013, 02:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mack002

I have DSL internet availability and Verizon Jetpack Mifi internet availability.  Normally my Obi202 will be connected via wifi to my DSL router.  I'd like the flexibility to be able to easily connect the Obi202 to the Verizon Jetpack.  I have done this, by logging onto the Obi202 and changing the preferred access point from the DSL connection to the Jetpack connection.  That works, but is cumbersome. 

Is there a quick and easy way to change the Obi202 from one wireless network to another?

Mack002

By the lack of responses to the question about "easy way to change wireless networks" I assume that the answer is a resounding "No."

So, here's question two.  My Obi202 is connected via wifi now and is working well.  Since I apparently can't easily change wireless networks, I'd like to remove the wifi adapter and connect via ethernet just because that could make my system more reliable - no wifi adapter to malfunction.  If I remove the wifi adapter, and I later need to connect via wifi again, can I just plug the adapter back in and re-boot the Obi202 and have the wifi adapter working properly or would it be more involved than that?  If that works, I can connect via ethernet and only use the wifi adapter if I really need to.

Everton

I don't want to come across as being rude, but all the questions you posed below can be easily answered by simply trying to do what you are asking and determine the results first hand.  Why pose these questions on the forum?  Just test it yourself and determine the results.

Quote from: Mack002 on August 02, 2013, 04:00:47 AM
By the lack of responses to the question about "easy way to change wireless networks" I assume that the answer is a resounding "No."

So, here's question two.  My Obi202 is connected via wifi now and is working well.  Since I apparently can't easily change wireless networks, I'd like to remove the wifi adapter and connect via ethernet just because that could make my system more reliable - no wifi adapter to malfunction.  If I remove the wifi adapter, and I later need to connect via wifi again, can I just plug the adapter back in and re-boot the Obi202 and have the wifi adapter working properly or would it be more involved than that?  If that works, I can connect via ethernet and only use the wifi adapter if I really need to.

Mack002

I've found that user forums are usually the source of reliable information and that users often have a more in-depth knowledge of the real life use of a product than the product's creators. 

Of course I could just experiment to find the answer to my question.  However, I know nothing about VoIP  devices.  Right now, my Obi202 and my Callcentric setup are functioning without problems.  I'm reluctant to take a chance on messing anything up.  For example, could experimenting with removing the USB wifi cause me to hear:
A) Oh, didn't you know if you remove the USB wifi you have to reconfigure the device?
B) Too bad.  The wifi device resets chip #38hhii5 and your device can never work again.
c) Didn't you remove power from the Obi and let it sit for 20 minutes to drain the power capacitor?  It's power feed is reset when you install the wifi device, and unplugging it as you did fries the power chip.  Too bad.

I know that A, B, and C are nonsense, but I like to look before I leap - especially if I haven't dived into a particular pond before.

Shale

Most of us just use Ethernet cables. I have not done anything with OBiWiFi.

When you want to roam from access point to access point, usually you have the same SSID and password on on each access point. This is not an OBiWiFi-specific statement.

The really weird thing I think I understand is that the WiFi password must be entered in hex rather than using a passphrase which is common. When you enter a passphrase into a router, that is hashed to hex. There is a common hash algorithm that converts phrase to hex, but I have not seen anybody post about using such a thing in a separate program. I suspect that would work fine. Maybe it is described somewhere, but I have not seen it.

Here are some past threads:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5979.0
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6135.0

And here are more: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=ObiWifi&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=obitalk.com%2Fforum&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=#q=ObiWifi+site:obitalk.com/forum&lr=&hl=en&as_qdr=all

Mack002

Quote from: Shale on August 02, 2013, 02:19:20 PM

When you want to roam from access point to access point, usually you have the same SSID and password on on each access point. This is not an OBiWiFi-specific statement.

The really weird thing I think I understand is that the WiFi password must be entered in hex rather than using a passphrase which is common. When you enter a passphrase into a router, that is hashed to hex. There is a common hash algorithm that converts phrase to hex, but I have not seen anybody post about using such a thing in a separate program. I suspect that would work fine. Maybe it is described somewhere, but I have not seen it.

Shale, your post is really interesting. 

Have you seen the Wifi configuration section on the browser Obi202 configuration page?  It has 20 places to collect information on 20 access points - SSID, password, and whether to show the characters of the password.  Do you have any idea what ObiHai's plan is for this many access points?   Maybe something that is not fully working now?

I plan to play with this in a few days, and I will definitely post back with results (and questions).

Shale

I had not, but now I have. I see there is one PreferredAccessPoint, but 20 total. If the preferred one is not available, I don't know how it proceeds. Try in order of list? Look for strongest? Your tests will be informative.

Mack002

I could not figure out how the Obi202 handles two or more wireless networks.  I entered my two wireless access points into the setup file.  I chose in setup which one was preferred.  Sometimes the Obi would connect to the preferred access point, sometimes not.  What it did seemed random.  I believe that the software for wireless access is not fully installed yet.  If anybody gets it figured out, I wish you'd post here.

I did figure out one way to easily change which internet access my Obi uses - either DSL through a router, or a wireless connection to a Verizon Jetpack access point.  What I did is enter into the Obi setup file the SSID and password of the Jetpack access point (and only the Jetpack access point).  I can connect - via ethernet - to my router and its DSL connection and the Obi connects to the DSL connection.  If I remove the ethernet cable (coming from my router) from the Obi and power cycle the Obi, it will connect to the Jetpack access point.  On re-inserting the ethernet cable coming from the router and power cycling the Obi, the Obi will connect to my DSL connection.   If both are connected, the Obi seems to prefer the ethernet connection over a wireless connection.  If only the wireless connection is available, the Obi will connect to it.

There are so many access points listed in the setup file that Obihai must have further plans for that technology.  We'll see what happens.