News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

G722 (as used in Asterisk) codec support

Started by MichiganTelephone, March 24, 2011, 08:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichiganTelephone

I mentioned this in another thread but wanted to copy it here so as not to hijack that one.

I wish that the OBi's offered support for a wideband codec, in particular G722 as used in Asterisk (not g722.1 or g722.2, which are not supported by Asterisk). While some folks think that would be useless because phones aren't designed to handle anything above 4,000 Hz, I don't think that's necessarily true, otherwise a landline phone company would not have to give DSL customers a filter to put in their phone's connecting cable. The purpose of that is to filter out higher frequency tones (the DSL data stream) that would otherwise be heard, which are above 4000 Hz!  So while a wideband codec might not offer the same improvement that it would on a phone designed from the start for wideband audio, I think it would offer at least some improvement.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

JohnLennon

Seconded. G722 would really be a nice addition, considering it's supported by GV and would allow to give OBi an advantage over stock ATA out there that don't support it.

bodywave

I have been using G.722 on Asterisk with softphones, Aastra 67xx series phones, and Panasonic KX-TGP5xx series phones. I think it sounds great, obviously much better than G.711, but I wouldn't consider G.722 to be a high priority for OBi to add. I would prefer to see OBi devote resources to T.38 first, because it would make their ATA's much more versatile beyond voice. Adding G.722 would be more of an incremental improvement over OBi's existing voice capabilities.