News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Free SIP services?

Started by dmikester1, June 13, 2013, 08:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmikester1

I don't have an Obi device yet, but they definitely look intriguing.  I heard rumors that Google Voice might not be free forever.  Are there other options for getting free phone service through the Obi device.  It says it will support any SIP service.  Are there any free ones?
Thanks
Mike

hwittenb

Obihai allows you to make free calls between other OBi adapter users anywhere in the world using their built-in OBiTalk network.

CallCentric offers free accounts that allow you to call between other CallCentric account users.

IPKall offers free U.S. phone numbers, with numbers in area codes in Washington State, that you can use for free incoming calls in combination with a free account such as offered by CallCentric or with other voip provider's accounts.

There are a number of providers that offer free calls between users of the same provider once you setup an account and make a prepaid deposit.

There are a number of voip providers that will terminate sip calls from anyone to U.S. toll free numbers (800/888/877/866 etc)  

CoalMinerRetired

I think there used to be some no cost providers, but I don't know of them.  Even if GV changes to a pay service, all you have do is port your number to whoever is the lowest cost provider.  

Look back in time at how much you pay to have a landline. If you can have that same service at no cost for one year you come out ahead. Or even for a few months. For one of two lines I used to keep the lowest cost landline service possible. It was a about 28 USD per month. What I get now from GV (Caller ID, Call Waiting, Voice to Text, Call Forwarding, VM, Text notification of VM, Telemarketing call flagging, unpublished name, etc.) would have cost $65 +, and that is before any long distance charges, which of course is no cost to the US and Canada.  The level of call forwarding alone that GV provides could cost 50 to 100 USD per month.

P.S: If I were a SIP provider other than GV, that would be a beneficial story to keep out there in the wild, "GV may not be free forever..."

k21689

FreedomPop will offer 200min voice free/mon service later this summer.
They also have free data service with limit MB/month.

LycaMobile($0.02/min+Blu Cell($10 newegg) is the cheapest cell phone service.

Then like the others say, get a free incoming sip service.

Also, I used to pay $10/month for Skype unlimit US/CA and some other countries calls. Some sip service providers offer similar deal with less than $10.

Add all these options up is still a lot cheaper than basic monthly land line fee(Not counting Internet sub. fee).

stanjohn

If you use their PC client or smartphone app:

Bobsled by tmobile or freephoneline.ca if you live in canada.

Check sipbroker  if you want more flexibility with PSTN dial-in and peering to other voip services.