News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

bridge to smart phone while at home?

Started by Vann, June 20, 2013, 07:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vann

I have a POTS phone line. For now I want to keep it. I want to be able to answer my incoming POTS calls with my smart phone (iPhone). I want caller ID to show up there too. I still want to be able to answer the POTS phone with the rest of the house phones. My motivation is I am lazy. I always have my iPhone on me. When the house phone rings I have to search for where my wife and kids have put one of the cordless phones (and hope they are still charged!).

I think I can do this with the OBI110 - I searched through the FAQs and forum and did not find anyone discussing this use case.

Oh and I assume the iPhone connection to the OBI would be over my wifi network - am I thinking correctly?

Any pointers lessons learned appreciated.

sic0048

I don't think there is any way to do this.  There is a bluetooth adapter for the Obi 202 which allows you to connect your cell phone and the Obi device together.  However, that connection allows you to place/receive calls using the regular home phones, but using your cell service as the provider.  So you can connect your cell phone and then answer calls that come into the cell phone via the regular home phones. 

This connection does NOT work the other way around which is what you are asking about - answering the regular home phone calls via your cell phone.  Using an Obi alone will not accomplish this as far as I know.

ianobi

Vann,

This can be done using an Android phone using CSipSimple. Partly explained here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4944.msg31966#msg31966

Using an iPhone, you would need an equivalent app to CSipSimple that OBi could use via your router wifi. If you only want to receive calls, then it would not be too complicated. You need an app on your iPhone to receive calls and a simple change to the Line Port InboundCallRoute to fork calls to the app should do it.

azrobert

Vann,

You cannot connect the iPhone directly to the OBi110. You will need a SIP service to accomplish what you want to do.

First you need a softphone for your iPhone. 3CX has a free one.

Next get a free Sip2Sip account here:
https://mdns.sipthor.net/register_sip_account.phtml

Register 3CX app on Sip2Sip.
3CX credentials:
Name: Anything
Display: Anything
User: YouSip2SipID
ID: YouSip2SipID
Password: YouSip2SipPW
CHECK I am out of office
External PBX IP: sip2sip.info

SP2 must be defined as SIP.
If SP2 is not defined, setup a dummy SIP definition like this:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : (any userid)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B

To fork inbound Line calls to iPhone.
Physical Interfaces -> Line port -> InboundCallRoute to:
{ph,sp2(YourSip2SipID@sip2sip.info)}

For CallerID to pass to iPhone
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP
X_SpoofCallerID: Checked

Update:
The OBi110 default is a 4 second delay before your phone starts ringing. This delay allows the OBi110 to process the CallerID. Since you are only displaying the CallerId try setting the delay to zero. You might not see the CallerID on the first ring.

Physical Interfaces -> Line port -> RingDelay: 0

azrobert

You can use the OBiON App, but most people find it buggy and poor quality. It would be a much easier install.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=41.0

Install OBiON

To fork inbound Line calls to iPhone.
Physical Interfaces -> Line port -> InboundCallRoute to:
{ph,pp(ob290123456)

290123456 is you OBiApp ID

Physical Interfaces -> Line port -> RingDelay: 0

Update:

Sorry for all the updates. I'm not thinking clearly this morning.

I believe this option will work fine when using your WiFi connection.