News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

what happens when the router or electricty is down?

Started by MRose, June 20, 2013, 01:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRose

I am considering purchasing either an OBi100 or 110for use with Google Voice. I have three questions. (1) What happens to the device when the router has been turned off?  (a) What happens to calls? I assume GV would forward calls to some other number?   (b) Does the OBi device lose all its settings and have to be re-set up?
(2) What happens with the device when electricity is off for an extended period of time (e.g. 1 week)?  --same series of questions as with question 1.
(3) I want to disconnect the NID and hook the Obi into my telephone wiring (in place of landline service) so that I can use all 3 legacy telephone devices.  Can I do this with either the OBi100 or 110?   

Rick

1) It doesn't get any calls.  a) GV, or your VoIP provider (whichever you have) handles the call as if you didn't answer.  b) No.
2) No idea.
3) Yes, any OBi device will do that. 

CoalMinerRetired

(1): By default you hear dialtone on your phone. With a setting change, you can configure to have a distinctive dialtone indicating no service. If you dial a number you hear a voice speak 'No service is available to complete your call.'
(1)(a) Yes, calls are forwarded and GV will see the Obi as any forwarding number that is out of service.
(1)(a) No.

(2):
- Via the ObiTalk Portal, when an internet connection is made available the Obi connects to the ObiTalk servers, retrieves it's configuration, and boots up. Total time about 45 seconds, IME.
- Via the  the Web Server-Based Local Configuration  (also called The OBi Device Management Web Page also called direct IP address interface), which I doubt you're doing because you're a new user, it works like most other modern electronics with non-volatile, even when powered off it retains settings and configuration. I don't know the upper limit for time off is, I'm certain a week is well below the upper limit though.

(3) Yes. See this for a lot of details: http://voip.mi-telecom.org/
See this for a shorter summary: http://www.wire-your-phones.com/

LeoKing

I connected the modem, the router, the switches, the OBi110's, the Panasonic DECT 6.0 & VTech DECT 6.0 connected to the OBi's to a CyberPower 1500VA/900W UPS. So during the power outage, I could still use my phone systems and my laptop.

giqcass

I have had multiple short power outages.  It has never messed up my settings and I don't use the portal.  As CoalMinerRetired pointed out Google Voice will just operate normally in regard to other forwarding phones.  That is the case whether the power or internet goes out.

Power outages also shut off wireless phones that don't have backup power.  I purchased a wireless phone that has its own battery backup and my phone system is paired by Bluetooth to a cellular phone.  This allows me to place and receive calls normally using my wireless handsets  in the event of a power or internet outages.

I have my Obi202 hooked up to my home wiring with multiple phones.  It works fine as long as the traditional home phone service is turned off.  The Obi 100 110 and 200 will also work fine this way.  I have not tried more then 3 phones but I am told the Obi has no problem using up to 5 modern phones.  I have been told some of the old "Ma Bell" phones need more power then most VOIP adapters provide.
Long live our new ObiLords!