News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Wired Access Point

Started by dom1, June 14, 2013, 06:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom1

I have Verizon Fios internet and TV service with the Obi 110 connected to the Verizon supplied wireless G router. It's the closest to the verizon service that comes in from the street. I have a wired access point in another room via coax to a wireless N router. Would it be advisable to connect the Obi to the N router (access point) or is it better to have it closer to the service coming in from the street? Thanks I'm trying to avoid spending $85.00 for a verizon N router.

RFord

It doesn't matter one way or the other.  I assume the N-Router will be in bridge mode, essentially acting as a dumb switch and the G-Router is handing out IP addresses.

I curious though, as how the two Routers are connected via coax cable.  Do you care to elaborate how this is accomplished? 

Ostracus

FIOS can use MoCA to make connections.

dom1

Quote from: RFord on June 16, 2013, 03:24:23 AM
It doesn't matter one way or the other.  I assume the N-Router will be in bridge mode, essentially acting as a dumb switch and the G-Router is handing out IP addresses.

I curious though, as how the two Routers are connected via coax cable.  Do you care to elaborate how this is accomplished? 
If you have a Verizon supplied router or a Moca adapter you just plug the router into the coax jack on the wall and you have a wired connection back to the "gateway" router. My thinking was the further from the service coming in from the street the more the VoIP would degrade. As it is now I have a slight delay when answering the phone.

giqcass

The physical distance between the two should not make a noticeable delay.  It may cause lost packets however.  The best suggestion I have is to do some testing to see if the connection is up to par for Voip.  Plug a computer into the connection and do a VOIP test from the URL below. 

http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php
Long live our new ObiLords!

dom1

I ran the test and passed. Here's a seperate question. The verizon routers are apparently modem/router combinations Can I plug the Obi into a router that is just a router? Thanks

Shale

Quote from: dom1 on June 18, 2013, 06:23:07 PM
The verizon routers are apparently modem/router combinations Can I plug the Obi into a router that is just a router? Thanks

Yes, presuming that router is plugged into a modem. Now if you plug the router into a modem/router combination, you will need to do some setting combination to have only one of the devices provide the DHCP.

dom1

I plugged the obi into the access point, it doesn't have a modem but it's hooked up via coax to the main router/modem combination. It seems to be working, can't say yet whether the delay is gone will have to test further.

dom1

I had to switch the Obi back to the main router closest to the service coming from the street. I had a ton of dropped calls when it was attached to the access point.

RFord

Quote from: dom1 on June 22, 2013, 03:56:29 AM
I had to switch the Obi back to the main router closest to the service coming from the street. I had a ton of dropped calls when it was attached to the access point.

If you plug the OBi into the access point, you MUST put that device into Bridge Mode, i.e, turn off DHCP, etc., which would be handled by your main Router/Modem Combo.  There should be a setting on the Access Point (AP) for Bridge Mode, otherwise you will have "Double NAT" issues.  What is the Model Number of the Access Point Router (I assume it has wireless capabilities also)?  Can you provide a link to the online manual for the AP Router?

dom1

The access point router is an Asus Dark Knight RT-N66u and I have it in "AP" mode. The main router is a Verizon supplied Actiontec Mi424wr rev E. Thanks