News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to use one google voice account on two Obi boxes.

Started by ns79, April 17, 2013, 03:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ns79

Hello,

I recently purchased an Obi110 and set it up with Google Voice for my business phone. Before the Obi I was using MagicJack for my business calls, currently the magic jack is plugged into the line port on the Obi 110 while I change all my business' literature over to the new phone number.

I bought an Obi 100 so I could put one in the house so I can answer business calls when not in my office, and both use the same Google Voice #

However being an absolute newb with obi devices I have no idea how to forward calls from the Obi110 to the Obi100. Is this possible? Can I forward the calls on the POTS (magicjack) line as well? Can I use the same google voice account for both box's outgoing calls so the same number shows up on my customer's caller ID?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really need to get this setup asap! Thanks!

ianobi

ns79 - welcome to the forum.

What you are looking for is called "call forking". Any InboundCallRoute can be set to fork calls to up to 4 devices. In your OBi110 delete "ph" in the following InboundCallRoutes and replace as follows (I'm assuming that you set up Google Voice on sp1):

Voice Services > SP1 Service > X_InboundCallRoute:
{ph,pp(ob200123456)}

Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > InboundCallRoute:
{ph,pp(ob200123456)}

Where 200123456 is the number of the OBi100.
This arrangement will ring the phones attached to both OBi devices. Whichever OBi answers first will win the race and be connected to the incoming call.

I'm not a GV user, but I believe that you can only register one GV acount on one device at a time. If you had two GV accounts, one on each OBi, maybe you could forward outgoing calls from one account to the other. Maybe one of our GV experts would comment on that.

AntonS

My experience is that if one uses only one GV account and fork the calls as described as above, then you will be extremely frustrated as half time neither OBI will ring and the call will go straight to GV voicemail. I have now registered the second OBI on a separate GV account and have zero problems with the forking as described above. See the following for how to make both Obi's use the main GV account for dialing out:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2391.0

azrobert

You can define the same GV account on both OBi's, but only the last OBi to register with GV will receive incoming calls. You can use ianobi's suggestion of forking for incoming calls and have your business OBi110 register to GV last. The problem is if your home OBi100 rebooted because of a power outage it would start receiving incoming calls.

The better solution is to send outbound calls from the OBi100 to the OBi110 via OBiTalk network and fork calls from OBi110 to OBi100.

On the OBi100

Set Speed Dial#1: PP(ob200654321)            
200654321 = OBi number of the OBi110

Physical Interfaces -> Phone port
Add to beginning of the OutboundCallRoute:
{(1*1?xxxxxxxxxx|1*xxxxxxx):pp},                    
1* points to Speed Dial #1

On the OBi110

Voice Services -> OBiTalk Service
Add to beginning of the InboundCallRoute:
{(200123456)>(xxxxxxxxxx|<480>xxxxxxx):sp1},

200123456 = OBi number of the OBi100
480 = your local area code.

I just thought of a way to fix the problem with defining GV on both OBi's. Just setup inbound call forking on the OBi100.  You would be forking calls both ways, so it wouldn't matter which OBi received incoming calls.

I like the 2nd solution better, but you make the call.

Makatich

I just purchased two Obi202 adapters and I work from two home offices at two addresses.  I used the wizard on Obitalk's website to configure them with my same Google Voice number.  Setup was a breeze.  Now both locations ring on the same Google Voice number and outbound calls from both locations work flawlessly.  Sure it cost around $140 for two Obi202 adapters, but the convenience of having two locations tied to the same Google Voice number is unbeatable!  Plus the second phone port on the Obi202 allowed me to configure a second Google Voice number for a home line that my children use with wireless handsets all over the house.