News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

"Your IP address is not available" But why not?

Started by Midshires, June 28, 2013, 03:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midshires

I've bought an OBi 100 and a 110 for use on OBiTalk alone (I don't plan to connect them to any other telephone network). Today I tried to install them but with no success. Both behave identically and give the same problem. I have tried swapping cables and power supplies, so I don't think these are at fault.

Both OBi adapters are brand-new and straight out of the box. I have not programmed them or altered them in any other way.

The  'power on'  LED flashes green on and off.
The 'Internet' LED flickers green spasmodically but is off nearly all the time.
The 'telephone connected' LED flashes green on and off for as long as the handset is off-hook.

When I pick up the handset I get dial tone. Dialling the OBiTalk test number gives me the tri-tone signal followed by an announcement "There is no services available to complete your call". Dialling ***1 gives the announcement "Your IP address is not available. DHCP is enabled."

There is nothing wrong with the analogue phone, which works fine on a 'real' telephone line.

My Internet service is by cable modem (Virgin Media, in England) and this gives me a dynamic IP address that changes only very occasionally.  Static IP addresses are not available.

I get the symptoms described even when the OBi device is connected directly to the cable modem, without any router in between and without any other device connected to the modem.

Is this what people would expect? It seems odd to me. I cannot register these two OBi adapters online because the OBiTalk server cannot 'see' them.

I must be doing something wrong but for the life of me, I cannot see what!

Help would make me very grateful. Thanks, Andy.

Shale

If you are trying the OBi hooked directly to the modem, try power-cycling the modem before connecting the OBi. The modem might have seen the computer, and not be expecting a request for another address so soon.

If you normally have a router in place between your computer and the modem, leave it there. Connect the Internet port of the OBi to a port on the router.

Midshires

Magic, Shale.

You got it in one. Rebooting the cable modem did the trick.

I can now call the Echo Test number.

I am most grateful to you!

Cheers,
Andy.