News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Does the OBi team monitor the forums anymore?

Started by HomerJ, June 29, 2013, 06:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomerJ

I've noticed that posts regarding firmware changes and general product support have gone unanswered.  I'm very happy with the unit I own but this gives me concerns about future support and may give pause to future customers.

jyates01

I had opened a ticket for an error message I was getting and also asked in the initial email about the release notes on the newest firmware. In the reply, the question to the release notes was ignored. I responded by replying asking again for clarification of the release notes as I have 40 of these units deployed remotely. My question has not been responded to, and this was a week ago.

To say I am dissapointed with Obi is an understatement. The hardware is great. I understand there will be bugs/issues to work through, as with any hardware/firmware. But the lack of communication about firmware is incredible. Do they expect someone who uses their hardware in a business environment to blast out new firmware without even knowing the changes?

To further my disappointment, I was in contact with a lead architect for one of the very popular asterisk based PBX solutions, and inquired if they were going to add the Obi devices to their software to allow them to be managed by the PBX. They said no because multiple attempts to contact Obi for inclusion went unanswered. Real bummer for me. If the Obi portal ever goes down, or is taken down, I have zero recourse for managing remote units. If Obi admins are reading this, please communicate better with your customers.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: jyates01 on July 01, 2013, 06:13:00 AM
If the Obi portal ever goes down, or is taken down, I have zero recourse for managing remote units.
I don't disagree with any of the other points. In regards to the above, search on here for "TFTP Server". The argument to be make is if you were forced into that approach it's clearly time to move on something else.

Rick

When I got my Obi, I viewed their support quality as low.  I use mine via browser interface, and to call via GV, so I need few capabilities.  Sherman used to post, seems he may be gone.  Their company is not setup for consumer support, better to sell to companies that bundle it as part of a solution. 

Ostracus

Shame really, and as our hardware eventually dies (R.I.P.) when it comes to deciding what's next, unless the rest of the industry is like Obihai, people will move on.

jyates01

It is a shame. Sherman actually PM'd me in reference to my above post, so they read the forums, they just don't respond. Lack of PR will gut a company...I wish I would have known the lack of communication before I bought 40 of these things...

QBZappy

jyates01,

You can remotely provision your own units. RonR has a neat utility that will give you a head start. Look him up on another forum. There are old and obscure references on this forum mentioning how it can be done. That is how I would do it if you wanted complete control over these units. The portal is for consumers who may have one or few units to manage.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

The tool by RonR is named "RonR OBiCfg.zip".  Google it and you will find it easily.
Where did you go Sherman OBI?

It's good to hear they are reading the forums even if they aren't participating.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Rick

Reading is good, as I once was told by the US Government.

However, if OBi does things like posts new firmware without putting an update in the thread that automatically notifies us of the update, and explaining the update - I don't care what they read.

Sherman - if you are reading this - OBi needs to get back to at least that level of communication with your customers or you're going to alienate us. 

QBZappy

giqcass,

Actually, I was thinking about this other utility by RonR:

Provisioning Utility for OBi100/110/200/202/300/302
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28450653-Provisioning-Utility-for-OBi100-110-200-202-300-302
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

I didn't know he had that one.  Please let me know if he did any other noteworthy Obi centric apps.  I added the one you posted to my archive. 
Long live our new ObiLords!