News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 lines failing? (Loss of connection) - Requires powerdown

Started by JerryinHouston, January 12, 2015, 11:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryinHouston

Hi all,

I have had my Obi202 for about a month now at home using 2 GV accts on SP1 and SP2 with no problems in setup or in use. (I have had GV as my primary home phone number for over 4 years now.)

For the third time this morning I went to make a call and I got a dialtone, dialed the number, then got an error tone and a recording that said "There is no service available...". When I looked at the Obi both of the two line LEDs were not lit.

The last time this happened I looked up the code for a reboot but that did not reset the system. So I unplugged the Obi for 10 seconds and that reset it.

I love the capability and the technology but I travel and can't have these kinds of failures leaving my wife to trying to figure it out.

Any ideas about what is going on?

Jerry M
Houston, Texas

JerryinHouston

Well, it has happened again this morning. The right two LEDs are off and my ObiTalk interface says SP1 and SP2 are "offline". I dialed *** for the auto attendant and then 9 to reboot but the two lines are still offline.

There must be some reason for this to be happening - there are far too many devices in use for too long for them to just be flaky or 'unreliable'. But whatever it is in my environment I can't have unreliability.

I followed the discussion about the guy who was considering an Obi solution for his mother in an assisted living situation. My mother is also in a retirement community and is paying $70/mo for a Verizon landline (!). I would LOVE to set this up for her with a GV number she could keep and travel with her but she cannot cope with any complexity and absolutely not with unreliability.

If I can't understand why this is happening I am going to have to remove my Obi and plug back into the landline when I start traveling again soon. Permanently.

Google Voice has been rock solid for the last 4 years as our primary number to our world but this Obihai is a weak link now.

drgeoff

When the two line LEDs are not lit, try dialling the Obi echo test **9 222 222 222.  Do you get through?

If yes then your Obi's internet connection is working and the problem is GV configuration on your OBi or a problem outside your environment.

If no, then you need to investigate the OBi's connection to the internet.

JerryinHouston

Thanks, DrGeoff, next time I will try that. But I suspect that it is the Internet connection that is failing. The way I discover that the lines are disconnected is when I try to dial a number I get a busy signal and then a voice that says "there are no connections..." or something like that.

I realize there is not a lot of info to go but my Obi202 is plugged into an AT&T Uverse 2Wire modem, model 3800HGV. Our landline also comes from them thru this router. I have a Panasonic DECT system plugged into the Obi202 for our GV calls, and a separate, older Uniden cordless system plugged into the 2Wire modem to directly access the landline.

What that does is give us two separate phones with different rings for the different lines. That is important to us since we give our GV number out as our only number so any calls coming directly to our landline are spammy calls that get that number from the public phone access records. Any calls that come in on that phone we let go to the answering machine but most never leave a message.

So a little background into our environment, probably not too different from most. Our Internet is a high speed Uverse connection that has been quite reliable over the last 4 years.