News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110: turn PHONE ringer off / disable ringer with star code?

Started by oobi99, August 04, 2013, 09:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oobi99

Incoming calls to GV # will ring my PHONE port telephone for a while, as well as my cell phone. That way I can pick up the call in the house on the phone or out and about on my cell phone. 

My dogs get excited when they hear the telephone ringer here.  I'd like to be able to  disable/enable  the ringer on the PHONE port, via a custom * code or some other method that may not involve picking up the (batphone) telephone base and moving the mechanical dial on the bottom to OFF.

There is a DND mode on the Obi * commands but that seems different than what I want, which is, no functionality / call routing changes, except that the ringing tone sent to the PHONE port is disabled or too weak to make the phone actually ring. I want to still be able to pick up the call on the PHONE set if I've forgotten to change this hypothetical ring disable and I see a GV/obi call coming in on my cell phone at home, saves on prepaid minutes.

Any ideas? A search here and online does not address this question.

CoalMinerRetired

The existing star codes -- the ones that are configured by default-- do not have anything like this, so there's nothing you can do there.  The closest might be *72  for Call Forward All but you have to enter the forward to number in addition to the star code, and it sounds like your GV is already setup to forward to your cell phone.

If you were up for some tweaking and experimentation, you might get it working with a star coder you create.  Star codes are really implementations of macros in the obi's logic, for example this is what *72 really implements: "*72, Cfwd All, coll($Cfan), set($Cfa,1)". The third item in the comma delimited list is what does the call forwarding work. Look for "Star Code Script Variables (VAR)" in the device admin guide. What I'm suggesting is you might setup some forwarding to a line that never answers (the telco port on your Obi110?), you are going to have to figure this out on your own. One tip is one star code can call another star code, that might help.

P.S: You could also take an out of the box approach and use Dog Whisperer principles to train your dogs to not get excited at the sound of a phone ringer.

Shale

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on August 04, 2013, 07:24:21 PMP.S: You could also take an out of the box approach and use Dog Whisperer principles to train your dogs to not get excited at the sound of a phone ringer.

I'll second that.