News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is my OBi110 phone port trashed?

Started by FM9295, July 12, 2013, 03:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FM9295

I have  an OBi 110.  Suddenly my "line in from TELCO" and "line out to phone" aren't communicating.  I can't get dialtone.  When I have my unit powered and ethernet  and both RJ 11s plugged in, all LEDs are lit.  I can get to the web interface via ip address from a browser.

When I don't have an RJ 11 from the telco plugged in, the light is not lit.  When I plug it in, it lights up (seems as it should be).  When I don't have the RJ 11 from my handset plugged into the unit, the light for the phone port DOES remain lit.  When I plug in the line for the phone, the light for that port remains lit.

I tried a cable tester that checks for pinouts on ethernet and RJ 11 cables and I cannot get continuity across those 2 jacks. 

Also, when I go to the device settings via the ip address, the status is saying "on hook" for both "phone" and "line" with no change if I pick up the handset.  The status of both ports is also showing 0 mA;  Line port tip/ring voltage shows 57 V if I have telco line plugged in and zero if it's out.  (seems like it should be this way)

The handset I have plugged into the phone port is a known good phone (if I use an in-line connector to connect my "line" and "phone" cables, I get dialtone right away.  But as I said, there is no change in the status of the phone port when I have everything hooked up correctly and pick up the handset). 

Since the phone port is staying lit regardless of whether anything is plugged into it (and since taking the phone off hook doesn't change the status of the phone port), would you say my phone port is toast and my unit is essentially bricked?

Shale

It could well be the cable from the phone port to the phone. It could be the phone port.

Try power cycling. If no change, try putting unit to factory defaults. At that point, I think you should get dial tone on the phone. Otherwise, it would seem that the OBi has failed.

RFord

Are there any other phones attached to the PSTN Line that could be off the hook?  What happen when you disconnected the PSTN Line from the OBi110 LINE port and attach that PSTN Line to a regular Phone?  Can you make and receive calls to your PSTN Line?  Can you make and receive calls to the Phone attached to the Phone Port when the PSTN line is disconnected from the OBi110?

BTW, do you have a spare A/C Adapter with the same spec as the regular OBi110 power adapter that you can try with the OBi110?  A bad power adapter can cause a lot of strange behavior of the unit.