News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Advantage of a Obihai 202 vs using 2ea Obihai 100 on two lines.

Started by KevKan, July 17, 2013, 07:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevKan

Other than no USB port on the 100, what other features would be lost?  FAX capability maybe?

Shale

Not much disadvantage to 2 OBi100s.

You would have to have an extra ethernet port and an extra place to plug in a power supply module.

Trying to call in on one line and back out on the other (OBi Attendent) could be more difficult if the two services were on different OBis.

You would not have the USB, WiFi, built-in router, or bluetooth ports, tho most people do not use those.

On the other hand, you would gain some equipment redundancy. You could take one OBi100 elsewhere as you traveled while leaving one at home. If you have a lot of ethernet connectivity, it could be handy to have the phone jacks in different places.

I think fax would be the same either way.

KevKan

I still wonder about FAX support on the 100 since there is no mention of it in the data sheet.  Data sheet for the 202 clearly says it supports T.38 FAX.

Shale

You make a good point. Have you found a provider that you would use T.38 with?

KevKan

Thanks Shale. I apologize for the slow response.

I believe my ISP, Cox Communications, may provide it but possibly only to their voice subscribers.  My thought was for just having the capability if needed sometime in the future.

I went ahead and got the Obihai 202 rather than adding a second Obihai 100.  I will now have a backup unit for at least one of the lines in the event of a failure.