News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi 100 phone port to power all phone jacks in home

Started by icu2, July 16, 2013, 07:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icu2

I have 7 home phone jacks for my old land line system

Can the phone wire from the back of the OBi100 device port be plugged one of my old phone jacks (on the wall) to power all the phone jacks in my house. If possible, would power the house phone jacks with OBi interfere with internet reception/function? The link shows a picture of what I'm trying to do. THX
http://s902.photobucket.com/user/ntheq2/media/Obi100setup_zps3f18ef82.jpg.html

SIDE NOTE: I have DSL U-verse service that comes in on phone line. Currently I can plug my router into any house jack and get U-verse internet service.

Shale

Yes, presuming they are not a bunch of old phones with mechanical ringers.

You know you are going to have to isolate the DSL signal from the rest of the house. Was that what that add-on comment was about? I feel confident that you are not saying that you are going to plug phones into the same jacks that now serve up internet. So I still wonder what point you were making.

Rick

Yes, you can do it, but NOT in the way that you noted.

DSL is provided over the phone line from the phone company.  In other words, they are energizing the phone wires in your house.  One line comes in from the outside and then powers every outlet in your house - that's why you can plug your DSL modem into any phone jack and get internet.

If you plug the OBi's phone jack into the wall, you'll fry the OBi.  Therefore, you have to make the DSL signal come out of one jack only, and disconnect it from all the other jacks - which is what Shale means by "isolate the DSL signal".

Some houses have 1 continuous wire that goes from outlet to outlet carrying the phone signal.  Others have a distribution box that sends the signal out on multiple wires. 

The easiest way to solve your problem is to determine which two wires the phone company is using to provide your DSL service, and then use the other two wires to connect the remaining outlets together.  Then, plugging the OBi into any one of those outlets will power all of them except the outlet supplying DSL service.

CoalMinerRetired

Adding to what's stated above, you said " 7 home phone jacks", but you didn't say 7 phones plugged into those jacks.

After you sort out the DSL signal implications, consider the Obi specs state 5 RENs (Ringer Equivalence Number). That means the Obi phone port produces roughly enough energy to power the ringers in five phones.  Look up Ringer Equivalence Number for more info.

Rick

And if you have a portable phone, where you plug in the base and have multiple handsets around the house that work off the base, that's 1 phone, so you don't need the other jacks.