News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is it possible to have 2 "ata" on 1 Service Provider ?

Started by Hyrules, July 13, 2013, 08:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyrules

For example I would like to use a Gigaset C610A-IP and my Obi 202 on the same line. The obi would be used to get rid of spam phone call and the Gigaset would be used to answer incoming calls ?

Thanks.

Shale

Line in OBi Terms means PSTN wireline from the phone company or equivalent. You might want to expand your description of what you are trying to do.

Hyrules

Yes it would be more like 1 service provider than line. I would like to use the OBi202 and Gigaset on the same provider with is FPL.

SteveInWA

You have an OBi, which is a VoIP Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA).  You can configure it to act as the "user agent", or SIP destination, for your account with your SIP VoIP service provider.  You also have a Gigaset IP phone system, which can do the same thing.  You can't have them both using the same credentials (SIP user account and password) at the same time.  In theory, you can configure the OBi 202 as a "PBX" to which the Gigaset can then connect, but it's complicated.  I have a OBi 110 and the same Gigaset system as you.  The OBi 110 doesn't support the PBX configuration needed by the Gigaset, so I gave up.  The issue, if I recall correctly, is that the Gigaset can't connect to a PBX without authenticating (with a user ID and password).  You can find some discussion on this forum about using IP phones (other than Gigaset) with OBi 202 boxes, if you want to experiment.

If your main concern is blocking unwanted callers, a better approach is to use the Gigaset with a better-quality SIP VoIP service provider that has blocking features you can configure on their web portal.  I use Callcentric for this purpose, for example.

Hyrules

Great thank you for the detailed answer. I though about it as you said and yes my main idea is to block unwanted call with being able to call. My obi is plugged to  my server via a 56k modem which uses Phonetray pro to filter unwanted spam call. The modem is then connected to the phone base. So I won't be able to use the gigaset. Good thing I didn't buy the thing yet.