News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 and Android native SIP dialer

Started by Mirco, July 18, 2013, 12:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirco

In our office we have a OBi202 unit configured with 2 Google Voice accounts (used as main line and fax) and everything has been working really well so far.

Now I'm trying to setup my Android Nexus 4 phone to dial and receive calls using our OBi202 unit as a gateway.
I honestly find the ObiON app near impossible to use, so I was wondering if there is a way I can setup and configure the native Android SIP dialer instead.

According to the instructions below (that I found on the Internet), I'd only need the "username", "password" and "server" to access the OBi202 unit.
Anybody knows what those are to access, say, Google Voice SP1 on our OBi202 unit?

Thanks,

---Mirco.

Native Android SIP dialer setup:

1. Ensure that you have a data connection (either through 3G or WiFi).
2. Launch your standard android dialer (often called Phone or Dialer).
3. Bring up the menu. Depending on your phone, this may be via a physical
    Menu button, or via an 3-dots icon.
4. From the menu, select "Settings" to bring up the settings panel.
5. Under "Internet Call Settings", select "Accounts".
6. Press "Add account" and enter its configuration.
7. Set "Username", "Password" and "Server" to their corresponding values.
8. Open the "Optional Settings" panel to see and set the following options:
    - Set Transport type to TCP
    - Set Authentication username to "sip:*<username>@<server>*".
9. Once done, choose "Save".
10. Go back to the main "Settings" menu and under "Internet Call Settings", select
    "For all calls when data network is available".
11. To enable incoming calls, under "Internet Call Settings -> Accounts", select
    "Receive Incoming Calls" (this reduces your battery life).

hwittenb

The instructions you posted are for interfacing a sip server.  The OBi, unfortunately, is not a sip server, but rather a sip client.  There is no way to "register" to the OBi to make it a sip server.

Ianobi recently documented a way to use the Android softphone app CSipSimple to call your OBi and use the OBi as a gateway for single-stage dialing out from the OBi.  You will need to configure and register one of your Spx ServiceProviders as a Sip Account.  You could already be using a paid sip account, or if you do not currently have a registered sip account you could get a free IP Freedom account at CallCentric and configure that.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6211.0

I believe there are also some GoogleVoice apps for the Android phone.