News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

FioS and a new install

Started by TheLittleVoices, July 26, 2013, 04:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLittleVoices

I am looking to purchase an obi100. I currently have FioS which includes tv and phone service. Can the obi100 be plugged in to a phone jack in my house without any issue given the FioS phone service may be active? I know there is an issue with DSL going over the internal phone lines. I did not know if phone service through FioS had any kind of similar effect. I know the internet service never touches the internal phone network, just concerned at how FioS handles the phone service.

Thanks!

Rick

From their website:

FiOS Service
Verizon FiOS Internet Service uses fiber optic technology to deliver phone and broadband Internet service to your home.

This fiber optic technology uses strands of optically pure glass that carry digital information as pulses of light. With FiOS, hundreds of thousands of these strands are bundled together to make the fiber optical cable that is connected to your home.

When you access your phone or the Internet, a fiber optic cable carries the laser-generated pulses of light to transmit the data to and from your home. At your home, an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) converts it to an electrical signal in the appropriate way.

Therefore, it appears it MAY Be connected to your phone jacks.  Therefore, you could NOT connect an OBi to your phone jacks.

I would think that you could easily see how your phones are hooked up.  If they are plugged into the wall, there's your answer.  You would have to isolate which wires FIOS is hooked to, and then use another pair at the outlets you want connected to the OBi.  Or, connect a wireless phone base to the OBi and put the remotes through the house.

TheLittleVoices

Ok, so if I test the Obi100 independent of my home phone network and all looks good. I can then just disconnect the ONT from my home phone network, or isolate it and then the obi100 will be good to go.

Thanks for the help!

MurrayB

That is what I did with my FIOS install a year and a half ago. Hasn't blown up yet. Just make sure that the phone jacks are isolated from the ONT.

Good Luck!