News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Changing SP1 settings

Started by Neil-in-Carleton-Place, August 10, 2013, 11:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil-in-Carleton-Place

I have become cross-eyed from reading through the posts trying to find info on changing the Service Provider information. I understand I have to "uncheck" boxes in 2 different areas. I seem to be able to find one area but not the other. It's a simple change really, all I want to do is insert Montreal3.voip.ms in place of Montreal2.voip.ms. The OBi setup does not include Montreal3 or 4 servers. I can only access servers 1 or 2 and of course the OBi cannot register itself.

Any help for a 75 year old "newby" will be greatly appreciated.

I sent a service request several hours ago but I guess they don't work weekends. I can't fault that because I don't work. But retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be either.

Davoice

Neil,

If your OBi box won't register, you have a different problem. You probably have your VoIP.ms SIP credentials incorrect.  The only difference between Montreal3.voip.ms and Montreal2.voip.ms is the location - which may effect how well the voice quality sounds but not the box registering in the first place.

Once you have the correct SIP credentials (the user name and password for your SIP account inside the VoIP.ms network, not the same as your login to their portal), you can register to ANY of their servers.  Meaning you should be able to register to Montreal3.voip.ms just as readily as you can register to tampa.voip.ms.

There is no need for a custom configuration in 99% of cases on VoIP.ms. Just select them as the service provider in the ObiTalk Dashboard during setup and pick your regional server (Montreal1 or Montreal2).  3 and 4 just give you additional choices in case your ISP is having trouble reliably routing traffic to 1 or 2.

}Davoice

Davoice

BTW, I just noticed over on DSLReports that something may be going on w/ VoIP.ms. A few other OBi (and other TA) users have reported not being able to configure working settings for VoIP.ms no matter what settings they changed (even manual ones beyond what a normal one should change).

You may want to try setting up an account w/ Anveo. They seem to work flawlessly for everyone.

}Davoice

DSLR thread: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28527596-Other-Is-Obi-Having-Issues-

Clive

voip.ms seem to have lots of problems with Canadian servers. I find the UK one is a problem on many fronts as well, from plain not working to intermittent niggling faults regardless of the ata but I have some boxes connected to it without issue. Strange.

Just try different the servers until you get one that works OK and don't get bogged down with wanting somewhere specific.

Neil-in-Carleton-Place

Many thanks for your replies. I actually had 2 problems. The first one was solved by using the Generic setup and the second by using the correct password. Boy, did I learn about passwords today!

Many many thanks again. Regardless of what the eyedoctor says, I'm going for a new prescription