News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OOMA and OBItalk ???

Started by johnnyfeedback, July 27, 2013, 02:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyfeedback

I have Ooma for 3 years and I love the service(only pay $3.59 tax each month on credit card}
What sucks with Ooma is from the internet modem you hookup straight to the Ooma box and then you hook the cable up to your router from the Ooma box(makes my security camaras  have problems with this setup and playing around with the Ports from the Ooma and my security camaras in my setup in my router makes it very annoying}

Seems that the OBItalk might be the way too go?
It seems that the OBItalk hooks right too the back of the Router without
worry about PORTS opening in my router or other annoying things?

Is this a better service then the MagicJack PLUS?
Thanks for your time...........
How is this service with INCOMING calls?(is that free also}..........Thanks all......JT

Shale

Try plugging your Ooma box into a router port. I might work fine. The OBi202  can go between the modem and a router, it can provide the router, and it can just plug into a router port. Maybe your Ooma can too.

johnnyfeedback

I did that a few hours ago and the lights on my Modem lit like a Xmas tree with all those blinking lights on the modem
But it does work very good just hooking the Ooma just too the back of the router and NOT to the Modem.
But after 2 hours the Modem has LESS blinking lights on it (hope that's good lol}
Security Camara are able to have REMOTE view from other areas where as before I had No remote
view access.
Seems that Ooma will be staying with me and will not have to get the OBItalk or magicJack....
Thanks for your gtood advise...........JT

sailing

I have an Ooma also. The Ooma is a router with one output port and has a firewall. If you hook another router up to the Ooma, you create another network with another firewall. Your cameras have to navigate through two routers which your cameras couldn't do so you had to use port forwarding.  You could have turned off the DHCP and firewall in the router plugged into the Ooma. This would have made the second router a smart switch and the Ooma would have handled the router functions. The only reason to put your network after the Ooma is if you have limited bandwidth and you need the QOS (Quality of Service) feature. This would give voice priority over other network activity once setup correctly. Otherwise, Shale's suggestion is the best way to go.

johnnyfeedback

With my Ooma when it was hooked up from the modem too the Ooma
Seems when you go into Ooma setup menu and put in the IP address
and ports (85}that the Ooma would be using.
Seems that CanYouSeeMe software dose not see Port 85 that's in the Dlink Router
and the Ooma box.

But since I do have lots of bandwith I feel just hooking up the Ooma from
one of the slots from the back of the  Dlink router works best and more easy to setup.

Yes I heard when I first bought my Ooma that the best way too hook it up
was straight from the Modem about 2 years ago.

But setting it up from the Dlink router
now I am able to use my Security DVR and Camaras,,,,orrrr I hope so
since CanYouSeeMe says that it can see port 85(not blocked anymore}.......Thanks..JT