News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100: Phone port possibly dead??

Started by OKPhoneGuy, July 26, 2013, 07:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OKPhoneGuy

Greetings...

Looking for some guidance on a sudden failure of my Obi100 unit overnight.

Could not call home (inbound), and then learned no one at home could call out - all phones dead. No dial tone. Could not talk to OBI device at all.

All indicator lights showing normal operation on the OBI itself. Powered down, waited approx 10-15 secs, re-plugged - appeared to come up normally. Again, no dial tone.

Unplugged cable from phone port to wall, plugged in regular handset. Nothing.

Went to OBI configuration/status page, and saw these values which immediately struck me as strange, and did not change if the phone was off/on hook:

Loop Current: 0ma
VBAT: 0V (12.1V)
TipRingVoltage: 0
Last CallerID: --

Given that I can read the configuration/status data from the Obi status tool, that tells me the data side of the unit is OK. With these values on the PHONE side, I strongly suspect something has fried the PHONE port itself. Is there some other obvious possible issue I'm missing or should check?

Thanks in advance..

Shale

Quote from: OKPhoneGuy on July 26, 2013, 07:43:10 AM
With these values on the PHONE side, I strongly suspect something has fried the PHONE port itself. Is there some other obvious possible issue I'm missing or should check?
Your assessment looks good to me.

dircom

your name is okphoneguy.  Do you live in Oklahoma? IF so,  did you get hit by the storm Wed night? any lightning damage?

OKPhoneGuy

Quote from: dircom on July 26, 2013, 08:53:03 AM
your name is okphoneguy.  Do you live in Oklahoma? IF so,  did you get hit by the storm Wed night? any lightning damage?

No damage at all that I know of, nothing to indicate any of our computers were hit/affected/rebooted/etc. In our area, we just got lots of rain. Lots and lots of rain.

OKPhoneGuy

Well, as it doesn't appear I've overlooked anything too obvious, and run through all the previous steps again, including even changing the cable from the Obi to the handset, and nothing's changed, I'm confident the phone port has died. I've opened up a trouble ticket and will go from there.

Thanks.

OKPhoneGuy

One other item: About how long should I expect a trouble ticket with Obi to take? I received no confirmation email or anything from them, not sure how long I'm supposed to wait??

Rick

Longer than 2 1/2 hours...

Figure by late Monday or ask again.

OKPhoneGuy

OBi support replied Friday afternoon, concurred with my assesment, and advised that a replacement Obi100 is en route.

Beat your estimate, Rick  :)

OKPhoneGuy

Just to close the loop on this incident...

As noted Obi support emailed me late Friday afternoon and advised a replacement Obi100 was in the mail. It was in my mailbox Monday afternoon and was up and running in just a few minutes. I don't think I could ask for much better support than that, so here's a big THANKS to Obi for their quick turnaround. I'll be packing up the original and sending it back hopefully tonight.