News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Recommendation on new voip setup

Started by Jugewell, August 23, 2013, 01:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jugewell

Hello All,

I have a new small business that I would like to utilize voip as follows;

One Main (and maybe two secondary) business number using an auto attendant that gives the user the option of dialling 4-6 extension.  I believe i need the secondary numbers to route extra calls while auto attentant is in use???

I would also like to have fax capability

I would rather use cordless dect 6.0 phones for portability but will consider the corded and IP phones if absolutely needed.

I currently have Uverse internet with wireless/wired router.

i was looking to get one OBI202 with a gigabit switch connected to the lan port and then from the switch run additional obi100's to accomodate the extra phones as needed.  I am not sure what exactly I would need to make this work so any recommendation on the above setup would be greatly appreciated.

Shale

You would seem to be the target audience for OBiPlus.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4071.0

There is a free option, but the premium option is only $120 per year. That seems cheap for a business service.

There is an OBiPlus forum... There is not a lot of feedback there. I think business people tend not to post experiences and reviews unless there is a problem.

Things are working great for me, but I am not a business person.

Clive

One thing you won't need is a gigabit switch to run the Obis, they will run quite perfectly in a standard 10/100 switch as the Obi runs at 10. If you're going to have more than four items plugged into your router, just plug the switch into your router. If you need a switch, I'd opt for an 8 way.

You do realise you have 4 voip lines in a 202.

Most voip numbers are 2 channel, meaning they will handle 2 simultaneous calls. Some suppliers like MyDivert sometimes provide more and you can point the number to your voip account if you don't use them (MyDivert) for your service.

If you're going to use IP phones, you don't need the Obi's, just get an IP phone that can register 4 voip accounts. You can get 4 line cordless IP phones but they can be pricey.

As far as I'm aware, it doesn't matter how many calls are using your IVR, the limiting factor being the channels on your DID.

For fax capability, if it's just for inbound, use a fax to email service - saves a lot of paper, if you intend to foip (fax over ip) then choose a voip provider who supports this - not all do otherwise you could fax over your landline. Alternatively, there are quite a few free email to fax providers on the internet and if you rent a number from them, you get inbound and outbound faxing using email. Probably more reliable than trying to foip.