News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 inbound call problems [voip.ms]

Started by babo, July 31, 2013, 04:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babo

Ever since I bought my Obi202 about a year ago I've been having issues where inbound calls ring busy until the device is unplugged. This happens enough to be annoying -- generally about once a month.

I have the Obi setup with voip.ms and everything works fine for about one month. This problem doesn't seem like any of the obvious stuff -- because I'm able to pick up the phone and make outbound calls, and I can see the inbound calls in my CDR reports on voip.ms.

I know this sounds crazy, but when was the firmware 3.0.1 (Build: 4041) firmware released?  I think I looked at it last night on Obitalk and there wasn't an update available.  Now I see that there is one and the phone is busy.

Is there any chance that firmware releases cause this behavior? Like you can't receive calls until you update or something strange?

Also does anyone know of a way to remotely restart the ObiHai device?

Shale

Reset the OBi202 remotely: I think this would work: Suppose you are not using SP4. Change
Voice Services >  SP4 Service >X_CallParkedRing from 10 to 9 (or 9 to 10 next time). Then click Submit at the bottom.

The OBi202 will reset.

Now what does X_CallParkedRing do? I just picked it because it was something that will not matter. It only matters when using OBiPlus. There are various things that could be changed benignly, that would cause a reset when submitted.

Regarding firmware, if there is a newer firmware offered, On the OBiTalk Dashboard there will be a yellow triangle that you could click on to trigger new firmware. I have such a triangle myself. There will be a box that lets you change your mind or to continue. http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0 talks about the various ways to trigger a firmware update.

Also on the Dashboard is a green icon if OBiTalk thinks it is communicating with your OBi.

I don't know anything about your phantom busy signal problem. I expect there is a SIP status indicator on the voip.ms website. Get to learn what that looks like normally, and check what it indicates when there is a problem.

babo

Wow thanks for the fast response. Knowing an easy way to reboot the thing from the web makes dealing with this a lot easier.  Before I was having to drive for 30 minutes just to unplug the thing.

1) I can place calls to the Obi # from the obitalk website and have a normal conversation with the other side.  This kind of tells me it is the connectivity to voip.ms having an issue.
2) The obi hai management page says SP1 - "voip.ms Account   Registered ".  That kind of tells me the device WAS communicating properly at some point.  

I'm like 99% sure this is an issue with the device and voip.ms at this point.  I just need to access the devices log files or something I guess.  Maybe it has a syslog or something handy.

babo

I guess the device isn't able to communicate properly with voip.ms anymore. I tried everything including a full power off and left it unplugged a good 30 minutes. No luck.

It shows "registered" in green on the voip.ms status page and on the obitalk management page. The status of the device is also green in the obitalk management page and the firmware is fully up to date.

Shale

Here is a blunt tool but relatively simple method you could use. Assuming voip.ms is on SP1, delete the SP1 in the Configure Voice Service Providers (SP) section. Then set up SP3 with the voip.ms info. Alternatively, set up SP3 with the voip.ms info on SP1 again.

babo

Thanks Shale, I tried everything at this point:

Factory default reset obi device
Deleted device from obitalk
Plugged it directly into the modem
Reregistered the device in the obitalk portal
Reregistered the sip provider (voip.ms) in the portal
Checked the status -- both sides show registered

Sadly the phone still rings busy when I call it.

Is there any type of paid support or a technical support number that I can call for assistance? The hardware itself seems to be functioning fine, but the software just isn't configured correctly.  Ever since the latest firmware update I can't get any use out of the device. 

babo

Quote from: babo on August 02, 2013, 12:36:53 PM

Factory default reset obi device

To be more specific I tried both the pin reset on the bottom of the device and the system management page on the obi202 web gui.  Both voice and router config for the web gui options.

:(

Shale

There are pros on this forum. One may contact you.

Does the call show in the OBi call log?

I suggest that you also set up GV. Then you will be able to distingish what problems are related to a particular provider and what is shared among providers. http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.php# has a list of things in the left column. See the first one. There is also a sticky thread http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=62.0

Voip.ms might have some ideas for you. I will IM you with another suggestion too.

babo

babo

I ended up changing providers today.  Anveo is my new provider and I just call forward from the old voip.ms number now. 

Sadly I couldn't leave the phone down any longer to troubleshoot with voip.ms because we rely on the 911 service and regular check-up calls for my grandma.

Thank you everyone for the assistance. Several people here have been very helpful!

Clive

Hi babo, I know my answer is purely acedemic now but what I don't see in your troubleshooting is trying different voip.ms servers.

I found all sorts of problems using their London and Canadian servers so I keep away from them as much as possible.

I also have a problem with obi in as much as the update to 2776 was forced upon us without our permission as all my boxes now have a rule in them that does an automatic update if firmware is below 2776. Those I have in stock will definitely have that rule removed before going into service.

Phonebill

I had the same problem as Babu being unable to receive calls, but I was able to fix it.

I deleted the SP1 account and 'Added a Device' It might have taken 3 or 4 attempts before I saw the 'connected' status on Freephoneline.ca

Prior to doing that, I reset the Obitalk 100 by pressing the button on the bottom for 30 seconds straight.
Note, the Obitalk shouldn't be plugged in at first, press and hold down then connect power with your other hand. Wait until you see some red lights, about 20-30seconds.

Then I proceeded to delete and re-add SP1.

I recommend taking an image of your current settings before deleting

Clive

What I had with 2776 was:
Can make calls - no audio.
Can receive calls - no audio
Got dial tone.
Box would not respond to remote access commands.

What I had to do to resolve it:
Remove from Obitalk.
Factory reset the box.
Downgrade the firmware to 2774.
Add to Obitalk.
Reset with Voip.ms credentials.

Had to do this twice as it auto updated to 2776 and would not respond to remote commands when added to Obitalk first time around.

This problem is not Voip.ms specific.

The box appears to be working OK now.

FYI: As of today, I've not seen an official notice of this update.