News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 new firmware?

Started by YongChen, August 01, 2013, 08:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YongChen

I see the firmware update icon on OBiTalk for my 202. I currently have 3.0.1 (Build: 3932).
What is new in the updates?

wasagabeachvillage

what's new ? I'll tell you what's new ! The "latest" firmware (4041) just bricked my 202.
Thanks Sherm

wasagabeachvillage

Update - got my 202 back after about 4 hours. Did'nt do anything; just came back after dinner and it was working  ??? ??? ??? An anomaly in the time/space continuum  :P

RyanMBC

Mine's not working, either, after trying to update this morning. I'm in hour 2 of trying to fix. Any suggestions?

meerkat

same here, my obi 202 can no longer talk to obi website and make any call.

My computer can still connect to the obi box and brought webpage, indicating obi202 now has firmware 4041 but obitalk site dicates my box is offline.  the obi202 is now half brain dead.

Using local connection and web admin, trying to downgrade firmware is denied.

----
Update, I made my phone working again with investigation. For me, if I configure the phone WAN using static IP, it will be a problem (to talk to OBI attendance), even though in the meanwhile the networking still works.

I accidentally find if you use my computer  and OBI local web interface to change 202 WAN to DHCP (default), the OBI box has a brief moment able to be connect to OBI center , then the box goes  offline again due to the OBI center database still keeps WAN configuration as static as before,  and synced up to my 202 back to static, making it offline again -- I also aware my obi box reboot twice eventhough I just click reboot once.

So I use obi expert online , to configure WAN as DHCP (even though at this time the 202 is not able to connect to OBI center), save,. Then I use my computer local connection to configure 202 from static to DHCP again, reboot, now obi 202 and obi center are both think the WAN is DHCP, everything is working fine.

I have always use my 202 WAN use static IP, and upgraded firmware few times, never has an issue, this new firmware is definitely hiccup in such static IP WAN setting

HTH

NerdUno

Also kills outbound OBiBT Bluetooth calls. I've opened a separate thread about it.

meerkat

I got similiar bluetooth issue. but if I dial the whole phone number 1(areacode)+No, then it works, if I dial just the No (eventhough all phone has the same area code), then according the the obi202 webpage history, it actually tries to call (areacode) only. Seems the new firmware exppect using bluetooth, you must dial **8 then must proceed with 1

This bug might due to OBI changed some dialing logic to compensate the new usb-phone-line device, and breaks (or changed) usb-bluetooth logic

Dietrich

Hi,

I logged into my ObiTalk and was informed there was a new firmware update for my OBi202. So, I followed the instructions and upgraded remotely. Now, I'm on software version 3.0.1 (Build: 4041). However, when I check my OBi202 admin page. It has the "Reboot Required" symbol on the upper right corner. I rebooted the device twice (once a cold boot) but still the message is still there? Anybody else encountered this problem?

gyromike

I updated both 202s of mine one via the touch tone ***6 method and one via the web. I had not seen this thread prior to the update or i might have waited. Both worked properly. I did not see any extra reboot needed message. It did take a minute or 2. I was only 1 revision back prior to the update. I do not use the bt so I hope nothing else got broken.

It looks like you should make sure you are using a dynamic IP before you do the update.

Koby

My experience at first appeared to be similar to that of gyromike - I had not seen this thread and used * * * 6 to update my OBi202 and it appeared to go fine, in fact this update seemed to complete more quickly than most previous ones. But now today I called * * * 6 again and is it telling me a software update is available, so I don't know if yet another update has been released or if it didn't actually get the first one - I suspect the latter after reading YongChen's post.  Under Product Information it says it's running SoftwareVersion 3.0.1 (Build: 3932).  It's been less than two days since I attempted the update so I should have received the new build, but maybe I didn't.

This OBi202 IS set to a static IP address on my local network, so maybe I'll hold off a few days and see if this issue is resolved.

YongChen

Just to report back, I just did the (4041) upgrade through obitalk. I took about 3min, and it went fine. I can make calls with FPL and GV accounts. Still no clue what are the changes. Where are obi people? Why not provide a change log or something?

mikeck

I had the same experience as meerkat.  After upgrading to firmware 4041 I couldn't place or recieve calls.  I couldn't downgrade the firmware and I couldn't access the device through obitalk.  I could access it by putting it's local IP adress into my web browser 192.168.xx.xxx.  You can get your device's IP address by dialing ***1 on your phone.  Once I had access I changed static to DHCP in the settings under Router Configuration>WAN Settings.  It works fine now but fails if I change back to a static IP

meerkat

Now a new firmware 4109 is released, update seems OK (I did not test if the static IP configuration issue is fixed or not, broken by last firmware release 4041)

mikeck

I tried a static IP with the new firmware just to try to be helpful. Static IP still doesn't work for me with firmware 4109.  I don't really need the static IP option anymore. I appreciate the help, I don't think I would have found that DHCP was needed to make my obi work on my own.

Ostracus

Leave dynamic on the Obi and set one's router to give a particular address every time it's queried.

meerkat

The question is not how to use  OBI as DHCP client (which is a default setting anyway), the need to use static IP is mostly used by power users to bind particularly device statically  - printers, OBI box etc --  in order to facilitate setting up different firewall rules and to ease admin scripting.

OBI advertises and provides such static configuration setting. Yet their firmware squarely breaks this basic setting, in two consecutive ROM releases.

Agent88

Quote from: wasagabeachvillage on August 01, 2013, 12:38:45 PM
what's new ? I'll tell you what's new ! The "latest" firmware (4041) just bricked my 202.
Thanks Sherm

Same here.  What's up with this?  Now I can't communicate with my Obi202 no matter what I do. [ignore]

Just noticed:  FAQs no longer work.  Has Obihai gone out of business?

FIXED!! Discovered my problem was my own making.... I have a USB Wi-Fi connection.... tried to update F/W via wi-fi.

Connected ethernet cable, rebooted 202 and everything back to normal.  Even the previously reported f/w update fail was corrected without any more effort.

YongChen

My (4109) upgrade:
It failed on the 1st try through obitalk.
It failed on the 1st try via ***6.
It went through on the 2nd try via ***6. It took about 3min. I can make calls with FPL and GV accounts.

No wifi, set DHCP on OBi202 (I dont use the router function on OBi202). The ip of OBi202 is static.

Maxxodd

Are there changelogs listed somewhere for the newest firmwares?

TheDreamer

I hadn't seen this thread when I was trying to update....

For some reason today, I visited obitalk...and saw that both my 110 and 202 were in need of updates.  I tried the 202 first, it failed via obitalk.  Tried again, still no go.  Started looking around on alternatives.

Ended up trying through the web interface, except I was on my 110 because I wanted to move where syslog was going to.  Also updated it to use local ntp servers, instead of pool.ntp.org

had to reboot before I could do firmware update, then did firmware update.

No problems that I can see with that.

So, I then went to my 202, moved its syslog, had already changed it to use local ntp, except that I had moved my local ntp servers so updated that too.

It didn't say that it required a reboot after I made those changes, could see syslog output at new location immediately after I had submitted the change.  But, I rebooted the 202 first, and then did the firmware update.

Things looked alright, shows version 3.0.1 (4109), except the interface shows "reboot required".  So, I rebooted again.  It still says "reboot required".

Didn't see anything about this on the new firmware post, wonder what's changed....

GV is working, I had deleted sipgate as SP2 a couple of weeks ago (don't recall which device needed update when I had visited then, but it was only one of them and it updated successfully via obitalk

Can't tell why its saying reboot required...

Noticed that both "reboot required" and "config current" are accessed as "./caution.png"....

The Dreamer