News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No Rings on Phone Port (OBI with GV)

Started by Tazer98, April 11, 2011, 01:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tazer98

I recently installed an OBI110 with Google Voice and have been using it for about a week.  I'm a novice at telephony but have been doing quite a bit of reading both on this forum, GV forum and others (MichiganTelephone, etc).  Most of the basics are working but I just found out that incoming calls to my GV number do not ring on phones that are connected to the phone port (I've disconnected from the Telco and used my inside wiring to connect my 4 cordless phones).  Incoming calls do ring on my cell phone which is forwarded in GV.

Outgoing calls on any one of my phones works well.  No problems whatsoever.

I've read so much about ringing, etc that it's all becoming a blur.  Can someone point me in the direction to solve this problem?  I'm assuming it's a configuration setting either in OBI or GV.

Thanks,

Tazer98

RonR

When you log into your Google Voice account, do you see the Google Chat entry in the phone list along with your cell phone?  If so, it must be enabled.  If it's not present, go to the associated Gmail account and make an outgoing call from the web page.  This should create the Google Chat entry in your Google Voice account (make sure it's enabled for calls).

devin197

Hey RonR,
I'm having exactly the same issue, no ringing for incoming calls.  In my case, everything worked for a couple weeks, we had a day long power outage, and when it all came back up, I lost the incoming calls.  I re-setup the box using the google voice config tool again, I made sure google is forwarding to google chat, I've tried a couple of different phones, and still no incoming calls make it through.  It rings a few times and just goes straight to voice mail.  I'm not sure what else I can check, but I'm thoroughly frustrated with it.  Any help would be great.

RonR

When the OBi phone should be ringing, does the call show up in Status -> Call Status?

The status does not automatically update, so you may have to click on Call Status more than once.

devin197

Sorry Tazer, not trying to hijack this thread but...

RonR, I have called the line a couple of times while watching and refreshing the status>call status page and it just says "Number of active calls :0 ", nothing changes.  It just rings 4 or 5 times, and then goes to GV voicemail.

And again, I have set Google to fwd to chat, it is the primary email, I am only using it for google voice and this box, and I am logging out of Google completely.

Thanks.

RonR

Quote from: devin197 on April 12, 2011, 02:11:41 PMRonR, I have called the line a couple of times while watching and refreshing the status>call status page and it just says "Number of active calls :0 ", nothing changes.  It just rings 4 or 5 times, and then goes to GV voicemail.

And again, I have set Google to fwd to chat, it is the primary email, I am only using it for google voice and this box, and I am logging out of Google completely.
It certainly appears the call is never actually arriving at the OBi, for whatever reason.  Is the OBi SPx Service Status showing: Connected?

devin197

For me, it's SP1, as I'm not using any other service yet.  But yes, SP1 shows "connected", no proxies listed and "0" active calls.

devin197

I also don't have an iphone or android phone, otherwise I would try your app and see if that would ring for incoming calls.  If you can find a version of your app that will work for WM 6.5, I'll be happy to try that out :)

RonR

Quote from: devin197 on April 12, 2011, 02:31:08 PM... otherwise I would try your app ...

I don't have any APP's.  I'm just a struggling user like yourself.   :)

devin197

Oh sorry, I just saw the beta tester by your title and assumed you worked for OBi.

I also opened up a trouble ticket and the only reply I got was to try and see if the line would ring with one of the apps.  I was thinking, if I could afford an iphone, would I really be spending my time trying to get a free home phone line? 

devin197

Wow, I still have no idea what was wrong, but I'm back up and running, rather up and ringing.  All I did was run the reset configuration (under device update>system management).  I set up GV again with the config tool, and 5 minutes later, everything works.  Crazy.  Now I only wish that I would have reset it a week ago when I started having problems.  Anyway, maybe this will help some other folks out there as well.  ;D 

OBi-Guru

Could be due to accidentally enabling DND (DoNotDisturb by dialing *78).   Dial *79 to clear it.

RonR

Quote from: OBi-Guru on April 12, 2011, 04:41:10 PM
Could be due to accidentally enabling DND (DoNotDisturb by dialing *78).   Dial *79 to clear it.
OBi-Guru,

I was curious whether DND causes call information to be suppressed from Call Status.  It does.

Much to my surprise, I discovered that DND (*78/*79) is not effective until after a reboot.

Dialing *78 immediately checks the DoNotDisturbEnable boxes on LINE, SP1, SP2, and OBiTALK Services, but calls are NOT blocked until after a reboot.  After a reboot, DND is honored and calls do not get through.

Dialing *79 to clear DND has the same problem.  Dialing *79 immediately unchecks the DoNotDisturbEnable boxes on LINE, SP1, SP2, and OBiTALK Services, but calls continue to be blocked until after a reboot.  After a reboot, DND is canceled and calls again get through.

Would Obihai PLEASE stop ignoring the issue of STAR CODE's requiring a reboot:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=477.0

It's not very professional looking to repeatedly ignore user's pleas for help.

Tazer98

Well, MY issue has been resolved.  When I purchased my AT&T Captivate phone (my first Smartphone) the setup prompted for a Google account to be set up.  I did that a couple of months ago.  When I received my Obi110 I didn't want to disrupt the existing Google account so I set up a new Google account.  In my excitement of receiving the Obi110 I got confused (I am a novice) between the 2 Google accounts and did not have a complete install on either of the accounts.

A friend who is much more knowledgeable about phones and Android helped me out.  I exported my contacts from the first account into the second account.  I then had to reset the phone to factory defaults to remove the first account settings.  (It cleared everything from my phone.)  Next, went to Google and deleted the first  account successfully.  Then went to GV and made necessary changes (forwarding, etc.).  Last but not least changed the Obi account to point to the correct GV account.

Tested it out and now I have the setup I wanted! ;D

Silent no longer, I hear ringing on all my phones....Ring...Ring...Ring...

BTW, my friend who helped me, after finding out about the power and features of the Obi bought one for himself!

Tazer98

OBi-Guru

@RonR - Dialing *78/*79 does not require a reboot and it is made effective immediately.
Seems like we can't duplicate the issue you are seeing.  Could it be due to modified digitmaps on your unit?

RonR

Quote from: OBi-Guru on April 13, 2011, 08:50:52 AM
@RonR - Dialing *78/*79 does not require a reboot and it is made effective immediately.
Seems like we can't duplicate the issue you are seeing.  Could it be due to modified digitmaps on your unit?

OBi-Guru,

Thank you very much for responding.

*78/*79 are deferred until after a reboot to take effect here and this problem is 100% reproducible.

PHONE Port DigitMap and PHONE Port OutboundCallRoute are at defaults for testing this.

Please advise what we do next to get to the bottom of this.

Thank you,

Ron