News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi110 inbound

Started by ptsnandgv, August 12, 2013, 06:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ptsnandgv

Hello,

I have an obi110, my current config is
line 1 -> telco POTS
sp1 -> GV

When someone dials the POTS number, I hear the phone ring on our end.  We can pick the phone up, the ringing stops and we hear dead air, the inbound caller (remote to pots), hears the phone keep ringing.  Dial # and I don't have dial tone.  We reduced our phone plan to the cheapest option, as all outgoing calls is via GV (free in USA, and .02 UK)

GV is working fine, we can place and receive calls with out changing any home wiring.   Using the same phone.  We purchased 2 same phones + base units 3 years ago and were a 2 line home.

Any help would be great...for a temp fix I have 2 Phones, one to get calls on POTS the other to place calls for free/cheap.

When I bypass the OBI I can get calls in and out on the SAME Phone, that does not work when OBI is in the mix.

ianobi

The OBi should put a loop across the line when you answer a PSTN call or pick up the phone and dial #. The loop would answer the incoming call or give you dial tone on an outgoing call. It seems to me that this loop is not going out to the PSTN line.

I would first suspect the cable between the OBi110 Line Port and the PSTN socket you have plugged it into. You did not say if you live in the USA or UK - both get a mention. For UK users (including me) cables and connectors can get a bit complicated. If you are in the UK, then you need a cord or adaptor that connects pins 2 and 5 of the UK style 431A socket to pins 2 and 3 of the US style RJ11 plug. If you are in the USA then the "straight" cable supplied with the OBi should be ok.

ptsnandgv

I'm in the US, sorry for not specifying at the start.

I tested the inbound line, and it worked...I bypass the Obi, plug a phone right at my nid and it's ok.
I can place and receive calls.

I agree the pots bridge is failing.  Is there any config in the obi to check, or a self check?

Shale

In your direct web page from your OBi110 (not OBiTalk), look at Status> Phone and Line Status. Note LoopCurrent and TipRingVoltage for the Line both when on hook and after you pick up the phone and press #.

What do you see?

ptsnandgv

on hook:
           Phone                               line
Loop      0mA                         0mA
Tip          45V                      -128 V

offhook:
loop    19mA                             0mA
Tip           7v                                 -128V

offhook+ #
loop  19mA                                      0mA
tip     7 V                                        -128 V

Shale

Those line numbers are not normal. -128 sounds like a failure in the A-to-D converter.

Unplug the line connector, and try again. If the voltage still shows -128 volts, I think your OBi110 is broken. I am fairly sure of that, but you will want to contact OBi. If your unit is still under 1 year warranty, they will tell you how to replace it under warranty.

ptsnandgv

i have rebooted, reseated the lines and recrimped new connections.  I am was 90% sure the obi died on me...now with what you say, i'm closer to 99%.

Thanks...

do you know what time the lines open for Obi?