News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 OBi100's or 1 OBi202?

Started by tuc2k, August 07, 2013, 12:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuc2k

Hello experts,

I recently put an OBi100 in with my GV number and WOW, works great. It is plugged into my DSL modem's ethernet port. Comes with four ports, one has the wireless router in it other has the OBi100, two spare.

Now I would like to add one more GV number for my wife. We have two separate cordless phones systems, one currently a land line, one the OBi100/GV line.

Question: Can I just add another OBi100 for the second line? Is there any conflict issues with the two OBi100's? Would I regret not getting the OBi202?

tuc2k

Maybe I can rephrase this,

Forget what is plugged into what and any issues with the 202.

Simply, do two OBi100's work at same address?

If I am missing a FAQ  that outlines this please point me to it.

Thanks,

Shale

From what others have posted in the past, you can have 2 OBis plugged in to a NAT router and both work.

Your 2-OBi plan seems to have the advantage of redundancy. You can choose to set up both on the same OBiTalk login, or you could create a different login using a different email address.

You might choose to take one on a trip sometime, and having the separate units could be an advantage.

tuc2k

Thanks Shale,

I was hoping I could use two and you brought up the redundancy bonus. That will be the way I will go.

Appreciate your help,
bob

Quote from: Shale on August 10, 2013, 10:26:21 PM
From what others have posted in the past, you can have 2 OBis plugged in to a NAT router and both work.

Your 2-OBi plan seems to have the advantage of redundancy. You can choose to set up both on the same OBiTalk login, or you could create a different login using a different email address.

You might choose to take one on a trip sometime, and having the separate units could be an advantage.

drgeoff

@tuc2k

Just in case you don't realise it, (and no-one else above has pointed it out to you), your existing single OBi100 will support 2 GV numbers, even though it only has one phone port.

An incoming call to either GV number will ring the phone and can be answered by taking it off-hook.  (The OBi can be set to send a different ring pattern to the phone for each of the two GV numbers.)

For outgoing calls, the OBi100 will by default use one GV account for any call that you prepend with **1 and the other account when you prepend **2.  You can even configure one of the GV accounts as the 'Primary Line' which will be used when you dial without **x in front.

The downsides are that obviously you cannot both be on a call at the same time and if you are using an ordinary cordless phone (not DECT) you are also sharing the one physical handset.  Whether these are significant downsides, only you (and your wife) can judge.

tuc2k

Hello drgeoff, thank you for your reply.

I wasn't quite aware of the mechanics of the two lines on an individual OBi100. Your explanation is makes it easy for me to understand. I may even go with two lines on the first device for myself to use. For my wifes number I will have to stick to the "KISS" acronym, using a separate device and phone.

I appreciate the input,
thanks,
bob