News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No Dial-Tone on OBi100

Started by khubbell, August 12, 2013, 11:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khubbell

I have been having a problem with my OBi100 dropping the connection to the attached phone(s). I have had this problem off and on for the last 3 or so months. I noticed the display on the cordless phone reading "check line" or "line in use" and reboots of the OBi100, the cordless phone, the router, or the cable modem does not correct the problem. Only time seems to allow the phone and the OBi to connect again. I finally connected a corded phone and used a different cable to the OBi100 and it too has no dial tone.

The status webpage on the OBi100 show normal with the status of the Phone State as On Hook. When I call the OBi100, using Google Voice, the Phone Status page will display the state of the phone as Ringing and will show the incoming phone number. But the phone is not really ringing. When I pick up the phone the OBi100 phone state does not change. It remains On Hook or Ringing and the phone remains dead.

The firmware is at 1.3.0 (Build: 2774).

The OBi100 does return to a "working state" after some period of time, which I am not sure how long that will may be. I has been multiple hours before the phone shows that it has a dial-tone again.

Any insight would be appreciated. The product has been a good performer up to this point.

Thank you.

Shale

Start with a different cord between the phone and the OBi100. Then try a different phone.

If you don't find a problem that way, do a factory reset on your OBi100.

dircom

If I may add, try a known good phone.  If you don't have one borrow or buy one, preferably a regular non cordless phone

khubbell

I've tried both a know working corded phone and two different phone cords. No luck.

I then did a factory reset.  No luck. Except it did install firmware 2776 but no dial-tone.

I read in another post that another user had success after deleting the device and re-adding it. I deleted the device but that caused problems when I couldn't dial **5.

At some point I noticed the OBi100 rebooting. I was then able to get a dial-tone and complete the adding of the device.  I configured it for GV and Anveo for 911.  I was even able to confirm 911 connectivity with Anveo by dailing 933.

Within 2 minutes after the 911 test the phone lost dial-tone again.  The dial-tone has been coming and going for the last 4 hours.

The room that the OBi100 is in as a temperature of 85 digress Fahrenheit. I check the operational temperature of the OBi100 and it goes to 113 F.  With a infrared thermometer the outside case read 102 F.

Have there been heat related issues with the OBi100?  Just reaching.

Thanks

CarlosDanger

I have the EXACT same issue as described. Word-for-word.

I have yet to re-add the device as described. Seems like that is not probably a solution anyway. My OBI was on top of my router and warm to teh touch. I'm wondering if heat is the issue as well. Moving it now to see if it changes my situation.

Have had the unit for almost two years and this problem is recent. Am wondering if its just going bad on me.

CarlosDanger

Quote from: CarlosDanger on August 13, 2013, 12:50:12 AM
I have the EXACT same issue as described. Word-for-word.

I have yet to re-add the device as described. Seems like that is not probably a solution anyway. My OBI was on top of my router and warm to the touch. I'm wondering if heat is the issue as well. Moving it now to see if it changes my situation.

Have had the unit for almost two years and this problem is recent. Am wondering if its just going bad on me.

One additional note. The "Line in use light" (second from right) just blinks intermittently. Everything on OBITalk HTML page shows device appears to be fine.

Jackson

Quote. My OBI was on top of my router and warm to the touch. I'm wondering if heat is the issue as well

Heat is always an issue with electrical devices.  I learned a long time ago to never directly stack anything.  The devices need to breathe.

Just like with computers, air flow is your friend.

For the most part the damage is cumulative, eventually leading to premature failure.

My stuff is all laid out next to each other on a small, open wire shelf which allows unfettered access to the air inlets which are usually on the bottom of electrical devices. Feeding these inlets with already heated air (stacking) is not a good idea.

Shale

You might try substituting power supplies if you have a suitable unit to change.

My OBi202 specs are DC: +12V   1.0 Amp Max, and the others look to be the same. So compatible power supplies are pretty common, I think.

If you are still under warranty, then I would contact OBi. If out of warranty, I would swap power supplies with another before buying a new unit.

My OBi202 costs  about twice what I save per month vs my old wireline phone. Maybe I should buy a spare. However so far, I am problem free, and I have the cell phone to hold me over if there is a failure. A new OBi100 is $40, so you could go ahead and order, and at worst have a spare if you find the problem is something weird. I cannot imagine khubbell 's OBi+powersupply has not failed based on the symptoms. CarlosDanger, I am generally skeptical of "same", but if so, you should get yours on order too.