News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

using obi110 bridge between verizon digital voice / google voice

Started by crackers8199, August 14, 2013, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackers8199

hello everyone!  i've currently got an obi100 which i'm using as my primary phone at home, and i love it...it works very well using just google voice.

i'm going to be moving and i signed up for fios triple play (because adding phone service was only $5 extra per month and got me a promotional $300 gift card)...but i'd rather not have to be handing out the new phone number.  i think i know how to make this work, but i want to make sure there are no gotchas that i need to worry about...

can i buy the obi110 and connect both google voice and fios digital voice, and have outbound calls go out through google voice (so that the google voice number will show on the outbound caller id)?

i already know that i can just configure google voice to forward to my fios number to have that part work...right?

crackers8199

lol, is there anything special i need to do to make outbound calls go through GV rather than fios?  that was my main question...

drgeoff

Quote from: crackers8199 on August 14, 2013, 07:54:57 PM
lol, is there anything special i need to do to make outbound calls go through GV rather than fios?  that was my main question...
Yes, you may wish to set the OBi110's 'PrimaryLine' to SP1 (assuming you have GV on that) instead of the default PSTN.  See page 128/9 of the (pdf version of the) OBi Device Admin Guide.

Whichever is set as the PrimaryLine is used for dialled calls not pre-pended with a **x.

**1xxxxx will go via SP1 (GV)
**8xxx will go out on the OBi110's LINE port (Verizon)
xxxx (not starting with **) will go out on the PrimaryLine.

There is an important exception to the above.  The default setting of OutboundCallRoute (page 127) sends 911 calls to the LINE port irrespective of the setting of PrimaryLine.

Shale

Alternately, if you are using OBiTalk (which is the easier way) to do setup, you can just tick the "Make This Service the Primary Line to Call Out From" box in the SP1:  Google Voiceâ„¢ Account setup.

On your first post, you asked "can i buy the obi110 ...". So I figured you were at the pre-ordering stage rather than the implementation stage. That "Make This Service the Primary Line to Call Out From" selection would be pretty apparent during setup using OBiTalk, I would have thought. However I have an OBi202, so my suppositions about OBi110 setup may be flawed.

drgeoff

I wasn't suggesting any particular method of setting which service is assigned to PrimaryLine.  The references to the Admin Guide were only for the OP to read if he wanted more info on those settings.