News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 Alternating Red / Green

Started by MGeorge, August 26, 2013, 08:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGeorge

Hi Guys, My obi100 is showing alternating red/green lights. I tried upgrading the firmware as suggested in self troubleshooting (http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/trs5.html). But after update, its going back to alternating red/green. When i try to access the ip address, its showing me firmware update page again and again.

Right now, its showing alternating red/green for a while and the internet led is flashing fast. Then few seconds later the power led start flashing red for another few seconds and back to alternating red/green.

Some had similar experience?

Shale

MGeorge

Quote from: Shale on August 26, 2013, 09:31:21 AM

Here are some others:
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5259.0

Note that the OBi100 does not have a LAN port. A factory reset may do the trick.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3261.0

Thank you Shale. Let me try my luck with the links you shared.

MGeorge

I tried everything, still not being able to factory rest or firmware update. I tried contacting obitalk, but no response from them so far.

Shale

Try downloading the Chrome browser, and using the Call OBi link at the upper right on http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev/devices

When you install, make sure you don't let it make itself the default, unless that is what you want.

MGeorge

Obi responded and offered me to send me a replacement device. Happy to know they do care about customer service. Good work OBI.

duile

My Obi100 just started blinking red and green yesterday. Like others in this thread, I tried the troubleshooting guide and factory resets. Nothing has worked. I emailed Obi yesterday about it, and here is their reply:

QuotePer your description, it appears this OBi is no longer working properly (electrically damaged), and it is already outside of the 1 year warranty.

We suggest you get a replacement OBi such as OBi200 model at amazon.com
, it is a newer device and has many more features.

I was using Vestalink with my Obi100, but had been having some dropped call issues and unclear phone lines. This might be just a sign that I need to change my home phone servicing, since I'm out of solutions (apart from buying another unit, but then again, I can also buy another phone service entirely). Helpful tips and solutions are welcome. Otherwise, this post is just to let others know of another person with the same issue.

cluckercreek

You stated you had preformed factory resets. Have you tried the "hard reset" with a paper clip on the bottom of the Obi? I also wonder if the Obi is trying update to one of the latest firmwares.

duile

Hi. Thanks for the tips. Yes, I did do the hard reset with the paper clip, and did a 30-30-30 reset, which I've done for routers. I also tried Obi's troubleshooting page: http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/alt and did the firmware update, about 3 times. Didn't work. Light still blinking red and green.

ceg3

QuotePer your description, it appears this OBi is no longer working properly (electrically damaged), and it is already outside of the 1 year warranty.

Has anybody upgraded from a working OBi100 to a 200 and had an even better experience?

SteveInWA

Quote from: ceg3 on August 30, 2014, 01:42:39 PM

Like Obihai tech support said... "He's dead, Jim".  Hopefully, you didn't plug the PHONE port (RJ-11) into your home's phone wiring, while the wiring was connected to external (phone company) POTS telephone service, as that could blow out the unit.  Time for a new one.

Has anybody upgraded from a working OBi100 to a 200 and had an even better experience?
Are you looking for someone to "give you permission" to spend money and buy a new one?   :D

IMO, it all depends on your needs.  If you're just using the 100 with one or two service providers (Google Voice and/or a SIP carrier), and that's all you need, then there is no compelling reason to replace it.  The sound quality and call reliability should be the same, as they are largely dependent on factors other than the OBi device.

If you want to use up to four service providers, or use some of the other newer features of the 20x series (Bluetooth or WiFi support via a USB dongle, for example), then Amazon/Obihai will be happy to take your money.

ceg3

then Amazon/Obihai will be happy to take your money.

I don't doubt that one for a minute.  ;D

SteveInWA

Or, you can just sent the money to me...  all kidding aside, I have a 110, a 200, a 202 and a 1032, and the 200 is versatile, incredibly tiny, and an overall better product than the 100.

Goldenmeadow

Back to topic :)

For last couple weeks I have the same problem, once a week, usually on Sundays :) Obihai support is useless.

What I found:
I assigned static IP address for my Obi100 in router. Then I got flashing red/green and Obi got "locked" to assigned IP address. I removed static IP address from table in router - the same thing...

So. Last weekend I managed to ressurect Obi. I flashed firmware couple times. Then I managed to get in into original status. And found out, that default value for IP address in Obi is not DHCP but Static!!! So I had to use voice system (IVR?) to set new IP and subnet that matches my router. From there I changed settings in Obi to DHCP.

But today it's locked again... So I'm fighting :)

One more thing: I noticed (may be it's coincidence) that by unplugging power ADAPTER from receptacle to cycle power I get better chances to resurrect Obi then by unplugging cord from Obi itself. May be some diode gets stuck in power supply...

Anyway. It's not nice business model to make product that lasts only 2 years to force customers to buy new version...

PS. My next VoIP adapter will not be from Obihai

SteveInWA

Must resist replying...must resist replying.

Goldenmeadow

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 31, 2014, 06:27:56 PM
Must resist replying...must resist replying.

I don't want to be rude like you, but do you have something to say on topic?

Goldenmeadow

ok, so the next part. I turned off everything - modem, router, Obi... And went to the party. Came back 6 hours later. Plugged back modem, waited to get connection. Plugged router. Turned PC on. Plugged in Obi... Solid green light! It had last known IP address I assigned to in in router. I logged in. It had all default values. I tried to restore my backup... And now I'm back to alternating green/red!

So my plan is: unplug everything overnight, plug everything back tomorrow morning and punch all settings manually.

PS. I'm putting everything here only because it might help somebody in the future. Good luck!

Quote from: Goldenmeadow on August 31, 2014, 06:35:18 AM

For last couple weeks I have the same problem, once a week, usually on Sundays :) Obihai support is useless.

What I found:
I assigned static IP address for my Obi100 in router. Then I got flashing red/green and Obi got "locked" to assigned IP address. I removed static IP address from table in router - the same thing...

So. Last weekend I managed to ressurect Obi. I flashed firmware couple times. Then I managed to get in into original status. And found out, that default value for IP address in Obi is not DHCP but Static!!! So I had to use voice system (IVR?) to set new IP and subnet that matches my router. From there I changed settings in Obi to DHCP.

One more thing: I noticed (may be it's coincidence) that by unplugging power ADAPTER from receptacle to cycle power I get better chances to resurrect Obi then by unplugging cord from Obi itself. May be some diode gets stuck in power supply...

Anyway. It's not nice business model to make product that lasts only 2 years to force customers to buy new version...

Goldenmeadow

And the last part.

My plan worked. My Obi woke up and I logged in. Now funny part: when I wanted to enter my setting I found out... they all there!!! After all that firmware reflashes...

So I can confirm my method: if you have flashing red/green, just unplug your obi AND your router. Wait (have some beer). Plug your router back, wait till it gets connected. Plug your obi. Simple.

Good luck to guys who come here for help.

Quote from: Goldenmeadow on August 31, 2014, 07:16:05 PM
ok, so the next part. I turned off everything - modem, router, Obi... And went to the party. Came back 6 hours later. Plugged back modem, waited to get connection. Plugged router. Turned PC on. Plugged in Obi... Solid green light! It had last known IP address I assigned to in in router. I logged in. It had all default values. I tried to restore my backup... And now I'm back to alternating green/red!

So my plan is: unplug everything overnight, plug everything back tomorrow morning and punch all settings manually.

PS. I'm putting everything here only because it might help somebody in the future. Good luck!

Quote from: Goldenmeadow on August 31, 2014, 06:35:18 AM

What I found: