News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 lines and OBI

Started by spinedoc, August 30, 2013, 06:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinedoc

Hello, I stumbled on all this Obi stuff from howardforums and was considering getting setup but had a couple of questions.  

My wife and I both have AT&T cell phones which get bad reception at our house.  We are on prepaid so we can't use a microcell that I have from when I used to be on post paid.  Our other option was to get a Wilson cell repeater, but I had not heard great things about that option.

Then I started researching the Obi option.  We both have google voice numbers, although I rely on my GV number 99% of the time, my wife doesn't really use hers much.

1) Is there an Obi box which allows 2 Google voice numbers to be used at the same time?  Can you hook up 2 separate physical phones and have one phone be assigned exclusively to one of the google voice numbers, and the other one exclusively to the other one?  I don't want to answer my wifes calls, and vice versa.

2) Can I forward my wife's number to google voice so people can still call her "real" AT&T number, but get routed through Google Voice to the Obi setup?  She has way too many contacts to ever give up her cell phone number for a GV one.

3) Do I have to turn off forward to Google chat to turn off those phones ringing?  I suppose I could just unplug the Obi box so this may not even be an issue.

4) Which Obi box should I purchase?

Thanks much for the responses.

RFord

You will need the OBi202 which have two physical (independent) Phone Ports and 4-distinct SPx "VOIP Lines", two of which can be used for your wife and yourself GV accounts.  This leaves two SPx VOIP Lines unused and can be used for additional VOIP providers.  This will meet all your objectives.

You could "potentially" port your Wife's Cell Phone to Google Voice if you so choose, allowing her Cell Phone number to become her GV number.

spinedoc

Quote from: RFord on August 30, 2013, 08:52:06 AM
You will need the OBi202 which have two physical (independent) Phone Ports and 4-distinct SPx "VOIP Lines", two of which can be used for your wife and yourself GV accounts.  This leaves two SPx VOIP Lines unused and can be used for additional VOIP providers.  This will meet all your objectives.

You could "potentially" port your Wife's Cell Phone to Google Voice if you so choose, allowing her Cell Phone number to become her GV number.

TYVM, just what I needed.  I would port her number over, but with a lack of MMS she's just not ready for that yet.