News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Need Troubleshooting -- Can't dial out, terrible static/feedback noise...

Started by bluegrey250, August 14, 2012, 12:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluegrey250

Hello everyone,
We have been using the OBi110 with GV for several months with no issues and it's been great.  A couple of weeks ago, I was on a call and I started hearing a static noise.  I ended the call and now since then, there is a terribly loud static/feedback-type noise whenever I pick up the phone receiver.

I also am unable to dial out.  The odd thing is that we can receive calls, no problem.  We are unable to hear the other person, due to the noise interference, however.  I tried dialing out using Google voice from my computer and that works just fine.  I'm still able to see all of my missed calls and listen to VMs in Google voice online.

I'm not even sure where to begin trouble shooting.  Any suggestions?

Thanks much in advance!

pc44

Quote from: bluegrey250 on August 14, 2012, 12:25:53 PM... since then, there is a terribly loud static/feedback-type noise whenever I pick up the phone receiver.

Hi bluegrey250,

If you are hearing a terribly loud/static noise prior to even establishing a call, there might be something wrong with your OBi unit.  If you like, you can submit a support ticket here for a direct response from Obihai.

You could also try a different telephone, just to rule that out.  Others in this forum may have some other, better ideas as well.

Hope you figure this out,
pc44

GZZM

The loud static noise in the phone, which is not removed by the factory reset.
I found the reason and I am back with the VOIP.
I have modem, router, OBI, and VGA=>HDMI adapter in one place.
Sometimes I need to restart internet modem and router, when one of the comps could not connect to the network.
It is recommended to unplug modem and router for one minute and then reconnect them back.
I obviously not unplugging them from outlet, but taking out power cord from the device itself, that low voltage end, which comes after transformer.
My entire family knows and does that.
Somehow, those ends were mixed up, probably between the three: modem, router, and OBI.
Modem and OBI require 12DC, router has input 5DC.
OBI is hardwired into router.
I don't know exactly, but 5DC was plugged either into modem or OBI, which resulted in that loud static noise.
At the same time wifi connection became unstable.
After I found about this mess and put power input cables in order, everything works fine.
OBI works, wifi is much more stable.
So, I labeled each end and told to all family members.
Obviously it is easy to mix up similar looking power ends after taking them off for one minute, nobody sits and looks at them, we are doing something else in between and turning back.
It is enough to mix them up.
Fortunately, hardware didn't fail on any devices.