News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SoftwareVersion 1.3.0 (Build: 2824) (Sept 4, 2013)

Started by QBZappy, September 04, 2013, 02:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

SoftwareVersion   1.3.0 (Build: 2824) (Sept 4, 2013)

Looks like some major enhancements to the latest firmware.It's clear that the users need to do their own firmware announcements with forensic comparison of the differences with the prior version. Any fixes will more than likely be overlooked since it is somewhat difficult to spot. We just need an explanation of what some of these features actually does as some are not very obvious.

Here is what I spotted:
1)
X_UserEqPhone
2)
X_CallWaitingIndication (coalminerretired might be happy with this one :) )

3)
RTCP
Enable   
TxRepeatInterval
LocalCName
X_RTCPMux

http://www.siptutorial.net/RTP/rtcp.html
"RTCP may also contain extra information for the participants like email."

4)
DNS Control
DNSQueryOrder         
DNSQueryDelay

5)
OBiTALK Service Settings->TryMultiplePorts (might resolve the OBiTALK portal not showing the OBi unit being green)

Anyone spot anything else? Maybe obihai can add to this thread with some details. Let's see if they do.  :)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Jackson

Just saw the FW notification in ObiTalk.

Will updating blow out the changes I made via Obi Expert Config on my Obi100?

QBZappy

Quote from: Jackson on September 04, 2013, 04:35:11 PM
Will updating blow out the changes I made via Obi Expert Config on my Obi100?

No previous firmware updates have modified user configs AFAIK.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

I've been reading up on RTCP tonight.  I'm still trying to understand if the OBi uses this strickly as a QOS tool, or if there could be some other practical use for this. I've seen RTCP mentioned with audio/video streaming and messaging. The "LocalCName" (userid@local_ip) intrigues me.

I thought that this was interesting reading.
Why do we Need RTCP Anyway?
http://blog.radvision.com/voipsurvivor/2011/07/14/why-do-we-need-rtcp-anyway/

ceg3

Surprisingly little feedback for what is a rare update. Hate I didn't get to push the button to update,  ;D after a number of logins to check for one over the months, since my Obi did it when I wasn't looking.

Interested in the call waiting indication, which in my mind is a big get. I've noted, with my Obi100 and GV setup, I get the tone when a call is waiting, but no number is displayed.  I presume nothing more than *56 is needed to enable the new feature.

TrapDoor

It looks like 10 Mbs is still the default value on the ethernet port (***0, option 27, 0 = 10 Mbs & 1 = 100 Mbs via the handset).

Rick

I sent an email to Sales@obihai.com Attn: Sherman and told him how disappointed I am with the lack of detail in these updates, the lack of putting a new post on the thread so we see an update has been issued, and in general the poor level of support.

I also told him I no longer mention OBi to anyone.

Dav3yDark0

Sure would be nice to see a list of changes. It kind of looks like they have abandoned this forum. 

tvBilly

Umm, is there anywhere they haven't abandoned? Have they bothered to list what's in this update anywhere? (Rhetoric question).

Shale

Quote from: tvBilly on September 06, 2013, 05:11:49 PM
Umm, is there anywhere they haven't abandoned? Have they bothered to list what's in this update anywhere? (Rhetoric question).
Feeling dramatic today?

CLTGreg

Quote from: Shale on September 06, 2013, 08:43:22 PM
Quote from: tvBilly on September 06, 2013, 05:11:49 PM
Feeling dramatic today?

I'd like to see more info in the forums on things like this too but it seems to me that the more techie the product, the more interested the producers are in tinkering than explaining.

That said, when my Obi was freaking out and rebooting upon inserting an RJ11 cable, I got service in chat when I needed it. We never figured out the why on that but tracked it down to the particular cord. So they may not be very active here but I don't feel abandoned and it saved an RMA.

Maybe this is why my 202 is wanting a reboot.

OZOi

Guys, do you know any way to save current FW from OBi100 device.

I have a custom FW, uploaded by OBi support team earlier and it works. I'd like to be able to restore it later in case if the latest FW doesn't work for me.

drgeoff

Quote from: OZOi on September 11, 2013, 12:22:08 PM

I have a custom FW, uploaded by OBi support team earlier and it works. I'd like to be able to restore it later in case if the latest FW doesn't work for me.
AFAIK this isn't possible via the end-user hardware/software interfaces.

If it ain't broke .....  would appear to be good advice in this case.

azrobert

Quote from: OZOi on September 11, 2013, 12:22:08 PM

You can try downloading the FW by putting the below address in your browser changing XXXX to the build number you want.
When prompted save the download.
This works for the current Build 2824.

http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi-1-3-0-XXXX.fw

OZOi

@azrobert, thank you for the advice.

The problem here is - it's a custom FW, uploaded to my device earlier by their support team. It's not listed as an official version. So, if I update it - it'll be lost. If I don't update it, my FW becomes obsolete in a while. Both options look unattractive to me :( Unfortunately OBi in their latest FW release notes did not mention about fixing my problem (notes are very vague and indescriptive). But without the fix, I can't use their device in my environment - it simply crashes...

There should be a way to save custom make FW from device. Without it, it's like an Russian roulette...

I think I have no choice, but to take the risk and update FW, if there is no other options.

QBZappy

@OZOi,

Have you tried asking obi support for a copy of the firmware. I'm betting that they would do it for you simply to have you report back that the customer service is great. (NB: Some firmwares are not backward compatible)

azrobert

Quote from: OZOi on September 13, 2013, 02:48:31 PM
The problem here is - it's a custom FW

I don't think it matters if it's a custom FW. Build 2776 was not an official release, but I was able to download it.

Log into your OBi via the Web. You will be presented with a System Status page. The build number is listed next to SoftwareVersion.

OZOi

@QBZappy, good advise :) Next time I'll be a bit smarter and will ask tech support to allow me to download custom FW to my computer,

@azrobert, it's not a common build number (4 digits). Build ID for that custom FW is comprised with 13 digits and characters plus date/time stamp.

Good news. I've run the roulette and won. Apparently the new build included the fix for my problem :) No need for that custom FW anymore (which I can't restore now)...

Smee

Quote from: OZOi on September 13, 2013, 07:15:18 PM
Good news. I've run the roulette and won. Apparently the new build included the fix for my problem :) No need for that custom FW anymore (which I can't restore now)...

So out of curiosity, what issue where you having that was fixed by the custom firmware and seems to be included in 1.3.0 (Build: 2824).  Might help others out in the future if running older firmware since we aren't getting release notes with these updates.

Smee

OZOi

It's problem with ZRTP. Any SIP client supporting ZRTP crashed OBi device (call in or out). Reported here in May, 2012.